• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 hubs

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on getting parts for my front Dana 44 build, and I was wondering what people use brand wise for hubs?I was just thinking of running warn premiums but was wondering if there is a real advantage to running the premiums over the regular or running warn hubs at all.

Warn premium = stronger and lifetime warranty

Run with alloy shafts, strong joints, and hub fuses for the weak link. Takes a couple minutes to change and you're back out.

Warn premium = stronger and lifetime warranty

Run with alloy shafts, strong joints, and hub fuses for the weak link. Takes a couple minutes to change and you're back out.

The plan is alloy shafts and Yukon joints, by hub fuses you mean the hub is the weak link right? or is there such a think as a hub fuse? Ive never dealt with hubs before this project.

The plan is alloy shafts and Yukon joints, by hub fuses you mean the hub is the weak link right? or is there such a think as a hub fuse? Ive never dealt with hubs before this project.

Oh, sorry...a hub fuse is a weaker replacement clutch ring part for the Warn hub. Costs less for a pair usually than a single Spicer ujoint...and will often fail before anything else. Since it's inside the outer hub, you can just remove cap, dig out the broken parts, and replace them. Saves all the work of tearing the entire hub apart and replacing shafts/joints.

Oh, sorry...a hub fuse is a weaker replacement clutch ring part for the Warn hub. Costs less for a pair usually than a single Spicer ujoint...and will often fail before anything else. Since it's inside the outer hub, you can just remove cap, dig out the broken parts, and replace them. Saves all the work of tearing the entire hub apart and replacing shafts/joints.

Thanks Phil, I think you have answered just about every question I've posted with this build, I should have all my parts next weekish and should be done by the end of the month at the latest.

Ive never actually heard of people running them, as from what I have read they seem to fail long before anything else would.

Main reason why everyone runs the Premiums is that they have the lifetime warranty. Carry an extra set, and return the ones you break when you get home.

Thanks Phil, I think you have answered just about every question I've posted with this build, I should have all my parts next weekish and should be done by the end of the month at the latest.

You're welcome. I've got the same front end, so if you need to look at anything let me know.

In your parts retention, try and obtain a spare hub assembly. You can make a nifty spare carrier out of it. ;)

As for the fuses 'failing', I've been out with several guys prior to my current rig and have seen a couple break at a point where a ujoint would typically fail. Each time we were back on the trail in under 10 minutes after a swap. If you know what causes a joint failure and avoid it, you'll be fine. I think in Joe's case here he's not going to be ramming the gas pedal to break stuff. 4:1 t-case and even proper gears at a minimum help with that.

Back