• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED perm Drivers seat fix fast, any ideas

I keep busting drivers seats, most seats from junk yards are rusted, I am only 210lb, and short 5' 8". They all bust different ways, most likely because when i shift i push back on the seat. I need a replacement seat, and this time that replaced with new pad and upholstery for both front buckets on my 99 xj (tan). I drive to much to have a bad seat that hurts me all the time. Any one out here have ideas. I am out of town and want to drive back on a fixed seat, 800 mi and 18 hrs (4 mnt baby requires a lot of stops) is a hard drive.

Side note. I have reached almost 24mpg on my 2.5L

I'm 6'6", 240lbs, my drivers seat broke about 6 years ago, took it to a local custom upholstery shop where they stripped it out, re-welded it, put gussets in the weak spots and put new stuffing in it, cost me $50. Last month when it came back with my daughter from philly where it's been the past year it was broken again, took it back to the same shop, he pulled it and showed me where it broke and it was not from his previous work. He re-welded it, added more reinforcing then put it back in, good ever since. This time it cost me $100. Inflation I guess but then he also did it while I went and had breakfast so I can't complain... The reinforcing was the key, it's now comfortable again, the first time I did not know it was broken but for about 2 months I was having back trouble, my son sitting in the back said 'Hey dad, you seat is really crooked.
The guy at the shop said he does jeep seats all the time, another design by accountant I guess.

The seats from ALL model ranges in the cherokees are a bad design.

Honestly, if you can't afford suspension seats with custom floor mounts, (Who can? I have broken one seat slider as well!) try swapping in ANY other kind of car seat.

Still too much work or money? Definitely make up some kind of reinforcements and get them welded on. While you are down there, replace those almost certainly rusted bolts that mount the seat to the floorpan. They WILL break off and you WILL hate your life.

Three of the bolts on your seat bracket are a Metric 8X25, the other one is a crazy stud in the floor and it is imperial.

Why?

Because Chrysler hates us.

Any ideas on a good seat, assuming cost is no issue that will lean forward as I have a 2 door.

Idea types I am looking for,

What kinda person can fix what I have the way I want. (There is basicly no coushion, needs uplostry work and reinforcement)

What car can i pull from and mod to work in the jeep.

Who has a good suspension seat what can lean forward it would be reasonable.

I just pulled 2 seats out of a 2 seat 92 XJ last week. The seats are in good shape. Unfortunately, I have no way to get them out to CO at the moment.

Back