• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this a safe mod?

bigalpha

I found THIS mod while surfing around doing some research.

He says to bend the prong for the relay out of the way. Is this safe?

Could you not buy a relay that just doesn't have that prong and replace it?

It says it's for TJs though...
:dunno:

~Scott

Are you trying to make it so your fogs are always on, or so they are only on with your high beams?

On my Neon R/T with Fogs, the mod was to splice a ignition switched power wire to the power side of the wire to the fog light switch. Should work with an XJ fogs, provided you can find an ignition switched power wire with enough extra capacity to safely splice into.

The fogs only went on with the low beams, off with the head lamps off and any time the high beams were on. The Rear Defrost switch is right next to the Fog Lamp Switch, I just spliced the power sources to both switches together and now the fogs will turn on anytime the ignition is on. Yes, I've checked, defog can supply enough current for the fogs, I've run both at the same time, the wires don't get warm nor do the fuses blow.

On my Neon R/T with Fogs, the mod was to splice a ignition switched power wire to the power side of the wire to the fog light switch. Should work with an XJ fogs, provided you can find an ignition switched power wire with enough extra capacity to safely splice into.

The fogs only went on with the low beams, off with the head lamps off and any time the high beams were on. The Rear Defrost switch is right next to the Fog Lamp Switch, I just spliced the power sources to both switches together and now the fogs will turn on anytime the ignition is on. Yes, I've checked, defog can supply enough current for the fogs, I've run both at the same time, the wires don't get warm nor do the fuses blow.

The power you're tapping off of/into doesn't power the fogs, or the defrost, it just supplies 12v to the relay, which sends the power to the fogs or defrost. So yeah, that's a legit way to get around an idiotic way of wiring up the fogs.

There were 2 relays infront of the airbox. One relay mounted on the header panel was for the foglights. The second relay clicked when the highbeams were activated but everything worked when it was pulled. I am not really sure what this second relay was for. Although there was a small blue wire running from one relay to the other. I snipped it and after that the foglights would remain on even if the highbeams are on! I have a feeling that second relay had to do something with deactivating the fog lights relay when the highbeams were activated.

Here's the diagram from my 88. Note that I had to piece this together from several pages so you may not find it as one diagram elsewhere. As you can see then Fog relay gets triggger from the Fog switch which is wired into the low beam side. You can simply clip the wire from the low beam side and splice into the high. If you want them on regardless, clip and splice into the Tan wire that feeds the beam switch. The Tan only gets power when the Headlamp switch in ON.

However, check your local laws. FYI: Fog lamps have a different beam pattern driving lights.

fogs1.jpg

Back