• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whos built trackbars...or shortend them?

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

when i finally get my 44 under the jeep im going to take measurements on what length to make my track bar.

currently ive got a RE1600 trackbar which has worked fine for me:moon:

heres my plan...tell me if its cool or no. cut the axle end, get weld in tube inserts from BTF, and run a heim

or am i supposed to put a rubber bushing on that end again

with a heim, the mount is going to be too wide, so im not seeing whats going to keep the track bar from sliding along the bolt

go with rubber on one end. it will help with the bumps. When I had to shorten my RE track bar. I just cut it right next to the rubber sleave, cut to length, bolt it up, tack in place, take it out and finish up.

When i had to shorten my TnT after i went to an OTA Bracket, I just chopped 4 inches out of the middle, sleved it with about 4 inches of tube in either side, grooved and butt welded them and rosette welded each end to the sleeve. It shouldnt be going anywhere.

That will work fine. I know lots of guys that just run 2 heims and have no steering problems at all.

Personally I just cut and sleeve w/ DOM. My beeter just has a sleeved stock trac bar. My 99 has a RE thats been bent, unbent, rebent, unbent, and sleeved.

does anybody whos cut a RE track bar know what size DOM i should get. 1/2 inch OD...3-4 inch OD?

and when sleeving it, do i simply slide it inside, and weld the 2 ends back together, or should i drill holes throughout the tube, and weld it to the sleeved portion

thanks

Here is my homemade one with 1.5" x .25" wall DOM (I had extra from making my steering) and 2 RE superflex joints. It drives fine for me, and I don't notice any adverse effects from the 2 solid joints.
DSC_2487.jpg

You should be fine with what you want to do with the heim. I did something similar when I need to make my fixed RE arms adjustable. I got a threaded coupler, 1" threaded rod, cut the arm up and welded it all together. I only spent $50 so I am not complaining.

I believe you would need 1 1/4 ID, NOT OD (You'll have to double check this). OD doesn't matter too much, but the ID of the DOM needs to be the same as the OD of the RE trackbar. You should drill holes for rossette welds and then weld the ends.

Back