• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spool or mini spool?

if they are to exist always go with the full spool. mini just eliminates the spiders and leaves a weak carrier. full spool replaces the carrier with something mucho strong.

THey do not exist for the 8.25 yet

I am pretty sure that if you weld it, it won't last much longer before something big breaks and leave the whole thing useless. I'm a jackass. i don't really know what i'm talking about...really.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure that if you weld it, it won't last much longer before something big breaks and leave the whole thing useless. I'm a jackass. i don't really know what i'm talking about...really.

Holy shit, do you know Bill W?

:roflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
For what its worth I ran a mini-spool in my Dana 44 rear (posted many times on spool threads). I loved it. I was wonderful when driving on Ice and slick conditions. Very predictable, very stable, way better than an auto locker. Ran 15 miles of iced trails a couple years ago. Off camber the rig traveled with the rear low and went along the off camber trail side ways to some extent but it was very controllable and stable. Fellow behind me spun off the trail and had to be winched back on 3 times because his auto locker kicked in and spun him, 4 low and creeping VERY VERY slow.

I took it out because I had to daily drive the rig and couldnt afford the tire wear and put in an Aussie. I dont run ice now.

If you are on 31's or less and can find a 29 spline mini spool you should be just fine if dont shock it real hard. Welding is hit or miss. A lot of folks have done it and it came out just fine, others have had nothing but trouble. Not an expert on it but there are probably right and wrong ways to do it. Most folks that have luck seem to weld it up, then put bolt shank in between the gears and weld that in as well to spread the load over the spiders as far as possible. Sometimes after doing this you cant get the carrier back out if it breaks so you have a boat anchor.

John

Back