• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering wheel not centered

109ace

NAXJA Forum User
Well, my new RE3.5 is finally installed. The problem is my steering wheel is off by about 120* to the right. I was wondering if there was a way to take it off and straighten it. I know that I will have to disconnect the battery since I have an airbag but beyond that I have no clue. Its a '98 if that helps. Also, my turning radius is worse when I turn to the right. I am assuming that it is because of the stop but in order to fix that would I have to take apart the steer and fix the problem at the steering pump or would putting the wheel back on straight fix that.

You may not even have enough adjustment!What did you do about a trackbar?

Well have you centered the axle yet?You need to do that 1st!

The axle is as centered and I have the extended lower control arms installed. I am almost thinking that when the front end was being put back together the steering was knocked off center. It still drives in a straight line though.

loosen the two clamps on your drag link adjuster thats on the bar that runs from the pitman arm to the passenger side. You can now rotate this adjuster to turn your steering wheel back to the correct position. You'll have plenty of adjustment in it. It's a 10 minute fix and occurs anytime you mess with the trac bar

loosen the two clamps on your drag link adjuster thats on the bar that runs from the pitman arm to the passenger side. You can now rotate this adjuster to turn your steering wheel back to the correct position. You'll have plenty of adjustment in it. It's a 10 minute fix and occurs anytime you mess with the trac bar
it is also affected when you modify the height of the vehicle

The axle is as centered and I have the extended lower control arms installed. I am almost thinking that when the front end was being put back together the steering was knocked off center. It still drives in a straight line though.
So,I read from this that you have no clue where your axle is located?If you didnt do and confirm the numbers,your not in the loop!

What are the numbers to tell if the axle is centered and where do I measure it from? I had help with this install and the person helping me has done several before on many different types of vehicles including jeeps. I used the RE3.5 kit and while it looks centered and is easily drivable at highway speed with no vibes, i am not sure how to tell whether or not it is centered. I was talking to a shop about having a proper alignment done since it all that was done was by hand. From what I understand, all that they need to do is straighten the wheel and then align the front end from there. Is that correct or are there other adjustments that need to made, including centering the axle? I had a RC 3in with stock control arms and track bar that I used for several years and When I installed it I didn't have this problem.

Im in the same boat as you right now man. I just swapped my lift onto my new XJ and my steering wheel if off centered. But here is a question, will this eliminate me having to pay 60 bucks for an alignment if i can adjust the draglink myself to correct the steering wheel?

yes but as a rule of thumb, any time you modify the front suspension and its alignment components, like lifting, you should get a shop to align the vehicle. they will straighten the steering wheel as well.

The shop was closed today when I finally had it finished. I plan on having a proper alignment done this week. I wont be driving it until then anyway, too busy with school.

when you lift a vehicle, you are increasing the distance of the axle from the body. this makes it follow the track bar arch down, and pushes the axle to the drivers side. on an inverted Y steering setup, it also increases the toe angle, as the drag link is pulled up, pulling the front of the tires closer to each other, and rotating the steering wheel. inverted T steering does not affect the toe when lifting, just the steering wheel.

you can center your wheel by yourself, but your toe is going to be off. your trackbar is the least of your problems right now.

yes, get an alignment. they will straighten your steering wheel out for you too, which is the LAST step that should be done during the alignment process.

:lecture:

What would you suggest that I do then. I have the RE extended track bar and I thought that it would help. I was under the impression that for a 3.5in lift, other then the extended lower control arms and track bar I would be set. I have a set of upper control arms that came off a friends RE4.5. Would It help If I installed those too? I am going to be taking it to a shop that specializes in aligning and working on offorad and heavy duty vehicles by the end of the week. If my axle is off center, would I be able to easily tell and is there a way to measure and see if it is off. I want to take the time and do everything right since this is also my DD and I want to learn as much as I can about building it up the right way. Thanks for all the responses. My 3in never gave me any problems after 5yrs:D

Last edited:
What are the numbers to tell if the axle is centered and where do I measure it from? I had help with this install and the person helping me has done several before on many different types of vehicles including jeeps. I used the RE3.5 kit and while it looks centered and is easily drivable at highway speed with no vibes, i am not sure how to tell whether or not it is centered. I was talking to a shop about having a proper alignment done since it all that was done was by hand. From what I understand, all that they need to do is straighten the wheel and then align the front end from there. Is that correct or are there other adjustments that need to made, including centering the axle? I had a RC 3in with stock control arms and track bar that I used for several years and When I installed it I didn't have this problem.
First,find somone that knows what hell they are talking about!

when you lift a vehicle, you are increasing the distance of the axle from the body. this makes it follow the track bar arch down, and pushes the axle to the drivers side. on an inverted Y steering setup, it also increases the toe angle, as the drag link is pulled up, pulling the front of the tires closer to each other, and rotating the steering wheel. inverted T steering does not affect the toe when lifting, just the steering wheel.

you can center your wheel by yourself, but your toe is going to be off. your trackbar is the least of your problems right now.

yes, get an alignment. they will straighten your steering wheel out for you too, which is the LAST step that should be done during the alignment process.

:lecture:
OH PLEASE!

Back