• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country 4.5" or 6.5" - opinions please.

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new lift and I like the affordability of Rough Country so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with them. My question is should I go 4.5" or 6.5"? I was pretty set on the bigger one but I am kinda worried about stability especially in off camber situations. I do alot of different types of wheeling so I'm trying to build a good all 'round rig that can still play DD every once in a while.

Either lift is gonna get a pair of their LCA drop brackets so those combined with beefier steering shouldn't be too bad on the road right?

Well I appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

i would save up and just go long arm from the start. My 98 is at 6" right now and im adding another 1.5". Not so much street, so i think that would be fine.

The main questions would be... what size tires will you be running, and are you willing to do some trimming if necessary?
General rule of thumb is to get the smallest lift for the tires you are running, otherwise your just hurting your COG.

The main questions would be... what size tires will you be running, and are you willing to do some trimming if necessary?
General rule of thumb is to get the smallest lift for the tires you are running, otherwise your just hurting your COG.

The max tire size that i'll ever run will be 35x12.50's and I've already cut the crap out of both the front and rear. I'm thinkin i'll probably get the 4.5" kit to start with because my next tires are only gonna be 33's and if I ever go bigger or feel that it needs to go higher, i'll budget boost it another couple inches.

I'd go with 4.5 for the 33s, more will look goofy.
4.5" and drop brackets = almost stock ride, steering probably OK too, solid flex & manners
6.5 and drop brackets = everything degraded appreciably, steering might need some real help.
go 4.5 and build onto it as you feel the need to
OR save up and go longarm from the start. Full Traction has a 6" kit for under 2 grand, looks like a good kid everyone seems to like it that has one.

I'm running the RC 4.5" lift with full leaf packs, and it's pretty tall for a 4.5" lift. I'm running 33's with minimal trimming and I'm happy with it. I have the CA drop brackets, and they are well worth the money if you plan to drive it on the road. My rig is a DD and the difference in ride quality between stock CA locations and drop brackets is immense.

I have the RC adjustable CAs, and the UCAs won't adjust short enough with the drop brackets, so I had to extend the LCAs almost an inch to get my camber angle close. I'm thinking that stock UCAs might be the ticket here if yours aren't trashed like mine were.

I'm running the ZJ steering upgrade, and haven't had too much trouble. It feels a little loose but I think that's my worn-out ball joints. I had some problems with the steering right after I installed the drop brackets, but that turned out to be caused by an alignment issue - I would highly recommend a professional alignment job after you're done with the lift.

The shocks are the only thing I really don't like about the RC lift kits, the Nitro 9000s that I had rode like an old 1-ton pickup. Flexed nice, but rough trails would really rattle your teeth. They worked fine for me until I save up enough to swap them out for Bilsteins, which ride like a million bucks comparatively.

I'm running the RC 4.5" lift with full leaf packs, and it's pretty tall for a 4.5" lift. I'm running 33's with minimal trimming and I'm happy with it. I have the CA drop brackets, and they are well worth the money if you plan to drive it on the road. My rig is a DD and the difference in ride quality between stock CA locations and drop brackets is immense.

I have the RC adjustable CAs, and the UCAs won't adjust short enough with the drop brackets, so I had to extend the LCAs almost an inch to get my camber angle close. I'm thinking that stock UCAs might be the ticket here if yours aren't trashed like mine were.

I'm running the ZJ steering upgrade, and haven't had too much trouble. It feels a little loose but I think that's my worn-out ball joints. I had some problems with the steering right after I installed the drop brackets, but that turned out to be caused by an alignment issue - I would highly recommend a professional alignment job after you're done with the lift.

The shocks are the only thing I really don't like about the RC lift kits, the Nitro 9000s that I had rode like an old 1-ton pickup. Flexed nice, but rough trails would really rattle your teeth. They worked fine for me until I save up enough to swap them out for Bilsteins, which ride like a million bucks comparatively.

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna go with the 4.5" kit with the drop brackets. I won't bother with the shock upgrade and I'll try the stock UCA's if I run into similar problems as well.

As far as a long arm kit, just under 2 grand is a far cry from $950 including shipping as far as Washington. Do you know exactly how much the Full Traction kit is? They don't list a price on their site.

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new lift and I like the affordability of Rough Country so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with them. My question is should I go 4.5" or 6.5"? I was pretty set on the bigger one but I am kinda worried about stability especially in off camber situations. I do alot of different types of wheeling so I'm trying to build a good all 'round rig that can still play DD every once in a while.

Either lift is gonna get a pair of their LCA drop brackets so those combined with beefier steering shouldn't be too bad on the road right?

Well I appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

What you pay for now,you will be replacing later.Save for a REAL kit!The only people I ever see rave Rc is someone that has never run one of the BETTER kits!

What you pay for now,you will be replacing later.Save for a REAL kit!The only people I ever see rave Rc is someone that has never run one of the BETTER kits!

I'd love to put a "REAL" kit in it but I don't have unlimited funds. I have a crap load of other things that I need to do to the heep so that's why I was thinking of going with the RC kit. From what I have read on here, it's good bang for the buck especially with the LCA drops to maintain proper suspension geometry. Having the d35 out back sketches me out every time I'm in a sticky situation in the bush so I have to swap it out and re-gear and at least one locker would be nice. I could go on and on haha.

The RC stuff is good bang for the buck right?

Sorry, i disagree, i'll rave about Rough country all day long, They have the best customer service i have ever seen. they have the best prices for Cheaper lifts. and compared to Rustys/Procomp the product is a million times better. I have drivin an xj with Long arms, and i have driving a Short armed RE lifted XJ. Rough country is a bit more "harsh" but for the savings, worth it:conceited

not everyone can afford to pay double. for some, this is a way of life, for others, its just a hobby. why spend $1500 for something, when $600 will do the job. and keep you out there having fun? isnt that what its all about?:party:

Sorry, i disagree, i'll rave about Rough country all day long, They have the best customer service i have ever seen. they have the best prices for Cheaper lifts. and compared to Rustys/Procomp the product is a million times better. I have drivin an xj with Long arms, and i have driving a Short armed RE lifted XJ. Rough country is a bit more "harsh" but for the savings, worth it:conceited

not everyone can afford to pay double. for some, this is a way of life, for others, its just a hobby. why spend $1500 for something, when $600 will do the job. and keep you out there having fun? isnt that what its all about?:party:
Thats what I was hoping to hear. I can deal with a little more harshness in order to save some cash. The way I see it, as long as it is safely drivable on the road and gets me up off the rocks a bit more, I can't go wrong. I'm just looking to build a decent all 'round rig. Not the best XJ you'll ever see.

Back