• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ

Shoemaker

NAXJA Forum User
Today Flexdout and I put a MJ Dana 44 in the rear of my xj. Its got 3.54 gears so it matches my stock gears so I can run it and use 4wd until I can afford the new gears. MJ's r spring under so we had to grind off the perches and I got new ones from Tampa Spring for the Dana 44 that we welded up top.

Tearing out the Chrsyler 8.25
PA070390.jpg

Welding up the Dana 44
PA070391.jpg

Axle out and ready for the D44
PA070393.jpg

Than it started raining when we where putting the D44 in
It rained off and on from then on
PA070394.jpg

In and all ready to go
PA070395.jpg

Also did the Warn Hub Conversion last week on my D30 with Chromoly
Shafts
PA070396.jpg

Now just need a couple more parts and the 10 inch long arm lift will be going on

Also going to be putting 4.88 gears and some 36-38 inch tires. Not sure what size yet.

good luck with that dana 30 with 4.88s and 38s

Why you say that? My buddy ran 37s with the same set-up, locked with 4.88 gears and wheeled it hard with no problems. It should be fine with the chromoly shafts and upgraded u-joints.

Next time you do a rear axle swap leave the tires on and lift the jeep up high enough so that the rear tires are just off the ground....roll the old out,roll the new in.
I found this method much easier and can be done alone.The only time you will need a jack is to raise the yoke high enough so the center pins click into place.....

I have rear axle swaps down to a science lol....I've done three in the last few years.

Last edited:
Why you say that? My buddy ran 37s with the same set-up, locked with 4.88 gears and wheeled it hard with no problems. It should be fine with the chromoly shafts and upgraded u-joints.

the bigger ratio makes the R&P real weak..they are already thin to start with being 4.88s and by having the chromo shafts and ujoints just pushes the break point further into the housing I.E. the R&P

and if you mean by those xj's in the background..they also have d44s which would automatically make there 4.88s "thicker" than the d30

Why 10" LAs with only 38s?

You already got better fender clearance with the prerunner fronts and yank the back ones off and run like 6" LA and maybe 37s.

10" is way too much. Ask KTM racer.

3.5" and 37s.............^^

Yes I am talking about the Gray and Black one in the background. It has a Dana 30 and a Dana 35 with 4.88 gears..welded front and rear and 37s.

:roflmao:

Nominated...

me likey.....any better pics of it not in the shade?

looks like a flop waiting to happen...at least if your going that big go full widths and 37s....

Today Flexdout and I put a MJ Dana 44 in the rear of my xj. Its got 3.54 gears so it matches my stock gears so I can run it and use 4wd until I can afford the new gears. MJ's r spring under so we had to grind off the perches and I got new ones from Tampa Spring for the Dana 44 that we welded up top.

Tearing out the Chrsyler 8.25
PA070390.jpg

Welding up the Dana 44
PA070391.jpg

Axle out and ready for the D44
PA070393.jpg

Than it started raining when we where putting the D44 in
It rained off and on from then on
PA070394.jpg

In and all ready to go
PA070395.jpg

Also did the Warn Hub Conversion last week on my D30 with Chromoly
Shafts
PA070396.jpg

Now just need a couple more parts and the 10 inch long arm lift will be going on

Also going to be putting 4.88 gears and some 36-38 inch tires. Not sure what size yet.

Take a trip to the OUTER BANKS? i can tell from your stickers.

Back