• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What can I fit!?!

Tbone13

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I have a 3" skyjacker lift on my Xj, with a good amount of fender cutting done. I currently have 31x10.5 trxus mt's by interco and they fit with zero rubbing. Now I have to get new tires soon since i wore down my front two tires down to almost racing slicks. Unfortunatley i had to start using it to commute to school which took a heavy toll on the tires. I just wanted to see your opinions on what you guys would do. Probably would need something a little less aggressive, and i was wondering if they were less aggressive, then maybe 33x12.5's would fit..? I would rather not have to mess with the SYE as well.. (almost no $$) so that idea may be out.. I don't know.. I need some help!! Thanks alot guys!

You can cram 33s under a stock XJ so Id say you should be able to for 33s if youve cut enough. You may want to stay with 31 for gas milage bc its a commuter.

Careful if it's a D35, those are known to break with 33's and not much abuse.

Youll be aight with the 35 on 32s-33s.

COusins locked front and rear on 33s with the same 35 you have and aint broken anything. Just be easy on it.

Another reason why I vote 32s though.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned gears. Are you still stock? Is it stick or auto? Do you know what rear axle you have?

Stock gearing and 33s isn't too fun. Mine has been that way for a while, but I don't drive it either...lol. You will definitely want to regear, and you shouldn't spend any money on the rear axle if you have a D35, you will regret it.

You wouldn't have to mess with the SYE unless you have problems now, or you lifted it more. Tire size changes don't change your drive shaft angles or create driveline vibes.

Depending on your off road needs, you may just want to stick with 31s unless/until your budget is ready for it.

Oh, and welcome to NAXJA!

Just if your going to put 33s on a 3 inch lift leave your sway bars and bump stops in. Bc I have a 4.5 inch lift with 31s and ditched the sway bars and i can get mine to rub with cut out fenders.

l_a1a3bf3eff1b01a0031184bca2ea2a9b1.jpg

ya I vote 31"ers if you want great flex and awesome functionality with no sway bars I say do that.

I believe my backspacing is 3.75." I have no sway bars and have flexed until I hit the bumpstops and don't rub. Mind you, I had to cut my front fenders twice as the first time I cut them, they did rub. Took about 2" off the fronts total and they're fine now.

These pictures aren't flexed to the bump stops, but I did that this weekend and they were fine. If somebody is sitting in the back, though, the rear might rub a tiny bit. I'll probably add a 1" shackle to the rear soon.

i have a 3" lift, cut the fenders a bit and put 33's under it and they fit just fine...but just fyi it SUCKS with stock gearing...i have the 5 spd and the 3.07 gearing didnt cut it at all...i ended up regearing to 4.10's for the sake of gas (and i found a really good used set to swap front and rear).

Hey thanks guys! But to answer the previous question i have the stock gearing, stock 35, and its an automatic.. So i think i'm leaning more towards the 32's, and leave the 35 and gearing the way it is.. That should do it i think.. Although i do like Billyjp's idea.. one day, one day...

Hey thanks guys! But to answer the previous question i have the stock gearing, stock 35, and its an automatic.. So i think i'm leaning more towards the 32's, and leave the 35 and gearing the way it is.. That should do it i think.. Although i do like Billyjp's idea.. one day, one day...
That's cool. Ideally you would still want to regear, but you should be able to get by ok for now. Gears will help a lot with power, and maybe some with gas mileage.
Also, running stock gearing and larger tires is hard on your transmission (although the AW4 is almost bombproof!). Installing a trans temp gauge can help you to keep the temps down though, and is highly recommended.
With an auto, 4.10s are good for 31"-32" tires, 4.56 for 33s.
You will also want to keep an eye out for a rear axle, that's definitely your weak spot. I broke my D35 on 31s, but I wasn't being easy on it either. If you don't plan on going bigger than 33s-35s, the 8.25 is a good, cheap, easy swap.
If your lucky, you may be able to find a pair of junkyard axles with 4.10s from the factory. This is usually the cheapest way to 4.10s, but that's the lowest they were geared from the factory. Unfortunately, they are more likely to have a D35 rear though.

I'm running 33's on stock gearing and it's not too bad. Gas mileage sucks, but it did to begin with. It can still pick up and go.

the only people that say "its not too bad" are the ones that have not regeared.

once you regear, the line is, " i cant believe i waited so long to regear, 33's and stock gearing absolutely sucked!"

Yea i'm going to keep my eye out for new axle, hopefully this weekend i can go to the junkyard.. Hey maybe if you guys want, you could post some pics if you're running 32's or 33's with 3 inch lifts.. Also do you guys have any opinions on good tires for commuting but still aggressive enough for the ol' trails.. Maybe just some BF goodrich all terrains..? Thanks!

Here is a old pic of mine with about 3.5 inches of lift, 33s, and raised flares.

DSCF0005-1.jpg

Here it is with 4.5"

jeepanddog005.jpg

Back