• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstien 5150's

krelja

NAXJA Forum User
I"m getting ready to put my axle in and really want to splurge on some nice stiff shocks. I'm leaning towards the 5150's for the rear right now. Has anyone had any clearance issues with them due to the remote reservoir? The shock mounts are raised up but stay around the same position. Would I be better off just gettin some new OME's or 5100's because I dont want to move exhust stuff or hit the gas tank and ruin expensive shock? Help me waste my money

Ive seen many rigs running 5150s with no problems what so ever.

Are the 5150s worth the extra money from the 5100s? Do they have the same ride, just the 5150s last longer from having more oil? Im thinking about getting the same shock

Are the 5150s worth the extra money from the 5100s? Do they have the same ride, just the 5150s last longer from having more oil? Im thinking about getting the same shock

I believe the 5100 and 5150 are built the same and give the same ride. The 5150 obvious has the external reservoir that allows more oil and allows the shock to not overheat when used in rough conditions (more jeep speed stuff). I'm in the same boat. I have the 5150's up front and need new shocks in the back. Can't decide 5150 or 5100. They are about a $20-25 difference per shock.

spend the xtra for the super cool resevoirs!

5150's are also powdercoated, have a swivel upper mount and are QUALITY.
DEFINATELY worth the extra $25 per shock.

as fer fitment, the swivel upper mount is a nice feature and it helps.

Sweet thats all I wanted to hear I think I'll do some measuring and see what length I need. If anyone is reading this I'm probably gonna have some OME's for 4.5 inches of lift for sale soon. What size lift are you guys running and what lengths do you have?

best thing is to measure ext/comp on YOUR rig and get the shock that fits. the ext/com lengths for the 5150 are on bilstein and a lot of other sites. im happy they made a 6" travel one bc now i can run them in the back.

I'm running 12" travel shocks in the front, and 10" travel in the back. The top mount does swivel (with a jam nut to lock it) so you have a little play room with where the reservoir is positioned. No clearance problems with mine in the back, and I was able to turn them so they have about a 1/4" gap from the hard brake lines in the front.

Just remember when doing shock measurements that you'll need the Stud/Eye convertors for the front. Those are usually about an inch long (JKS are 1.1") so you'll have to take that into account when buying the shocks. I'm running the Teraflex bar pin elminator in the rear so I don't ever have to go through the floor again to get to the bolts. :) Running the JKS bar pin eliminator on the front lowers, too because I got a deal on them. Not sure if they improved anything, but they look cool. ;)

I'm running 12" travel shocks in the front, and 10" travel in the back. The top mount does swivel (with a jam nut to lock it) so you have a little play room with where the reservoir is positioned. No clearance problems with mine in the back, and I was able to turn them so they have about a 1/4" gap from the hard brake lines in the front.

Just remember when doing shock measurements that you'll need the Stud/Eye convertors for the front. Those are usually about an inch long (JKS are 1.1") so you'll have to take that into account when buying the shocks. I'm running the Teraflex bar pin elminator in the rear so I don't ever have to go through the floor again to get to the bolts. :) Running the JKS bar pin eliminator on the front lowers, too because I got a deal on them. Not sure if they improved anything, but they look cool. ;)

What kind of lift you have to get that travel ?

Sounds like 5150s might be the ticket then. jeepinoutfitters has the TNT longarm upgrade for a lil over 750 right now on sale. I was thinking about getting that and some 5150s. There is no way to measure before I put the longarm kit on tho? I will have 4.5 coils and a 1 3/4 spacer.

I've got a longarm kit (TNT Y-Link), and I max out the 12" shocks at full droop. I've got my suspension set up for 4" up travel and 8" droop for the front shocks. A side affect of the stud/eye conversion, I was planning for 5" up and 7" down. *doh* The current setup is enough to remove tension on the front springs, you can remove them on a RTI ramp. :) I scored 900 on a 23* RTI ramp (swaybar disconnected, tires at street pressure)

I'd suggest 10" travel 5150s for a 5-6" longarm. 12" shocks for most guys would need an 8" lift. If you get 5100s, you can use 1" longer shocks.

I am trying to get maximum up travel with minimum lift with shocks using the shortest compressed length.

I need it for the fast stuff in the desert with a low center of gravity for tackling the dunes

Any ideas

custom shock towers? that's really the only way to get significant up travel without severely limiting the down travel.

The top mount does swivel (with a jam nut to lock it) so you have a little play room with where the reservoir is positioned.

Just remember when doing shock measurements that you'll need the Stud/Eye convertors for the front.

Actually, on the 5150's, the top eye completely unscrews from the shock. If you check Bilsteins website, they offer a "stud" conversion for the 5150 shocks. No upper stud/eye conversion needed...

A.

oh, really... hmm.... Time to search.

Edit: yahoo! found them. part# 192228 :)

Last edited:
thanks. come to find out, it's in my work computer as an old special order part. I already put in an order for two of them. :)

Back