• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fouth coil in 12 months

Southwest Chuck

NAXJA Forum User
I'm baffled. I just installed my fourth coil. Three have gone out in the last 12 months. Thank goodness I carry a spare, but this is getting old, fast. What could be causing the coil burn-out so fast? Ideas? :dunno:

I'm baffled. I just installed my fourth coil. Three have gone out in the last 12 months. Thank goodness I carry a spare, but this is getting old, fast. What could be causing the coil burn-out so fast? Ideas? :dunno:

Not flaming, But are you buying quility Name brand coils, or the cheapest you can find? Just asking?

Not flaming, But are you buying quility Name brand coils, or the cheapest you can find? Just asking?

The last one was a top of the line heavy duty one from Napa installed mid-July. It went out last week. It lasted the same amount of time as the previous cheap one (and the previous OEM). Something has to be causing it and doubt it can be blamed on cheap parts. I'm thinking if it could be caused by excessive heat being mounted so close to the block and thought about relocating the coil. Has anyone tried this? It doesn't sound like a very common problem from the lack of responces, but my mechanic friend says that he replaces them all the time. Maybe I'll just have to live with it and always carry a spare and or mount a second one nearby to quickly get back on the road.

Back