• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trim removal?

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
On the different trim styles found on xjs over the years can they be removed without any scarring the paint? what is the best stuff to get the glue off?

I'm currently prepping mine, I have used a special rubber wheel that "erases" the glue, but it's slow, and they are expensive. I'm replacing the front grille header, and the later model letters are glued on, not fastened. Less holes to fill, good, but more glue.

The paint will scar unless you are very careful. Frequently, the glue used will pull off the paint, especially a repaint. Whatever tool you use may also mark it if you attempt to lever at all.

I'm interested in whatever will dissolve the glue, too, but I'm thinking it would probably be close to an atomic molecular bond dissolver, which is probably a hazmat issue. I'll keep scraping and sanding until then.

Get a heat gun, get the plastic/glue/paint nice and warm. Then get some quality fishing line and slide it underneath the trim. Pull it along, like you're slicing through cheese or something. After the trim is off, use some GooGone and LOTS of elbow grease to remove the glue and residue.

I just took off the trim on a vehice that was going to paint and I used a heat gun to get the mouldings off and then the adhesive that was left I used the 3M adhesive remover. it is like $12 a can and take a few times over, but it works and does not take the paint off like other more harsh chemicals do.

i figured goo gone may work. I had no idea what they used. I was also wondering if all xjs trim on all years is on the same way and can be removed as if never put on from the factory? Im buying another xj and my 96 has no trim. I see some pre 97 have a fat black trim peice along lower door and rocker i think. if i get one of these models will i get it all off?

I used a hard black rubber sanding block(Minus the paper). Yeap, a sanding block, make sure it is rubber. It removes the rubber goo crap without harming your pain job.

mac

If it doesn't come off easily by any of the previously mentioned methods it's because someone has glued them on with contact glue or worse. A heat gun & some kind of solvent has always worked for me. I had to scrape epoxy off a door with a razor blade once. And of course it didn't hold the molding on either. For those misguided enough to want to put it back on 3M automotive double backed tape works well. The black stuff, not the white crap they sell at auto parts stores.

There is this stuff that auto body supply stores sell called 'prep-sol', that stuff takes almost anything off, I've use it for a final wipe down before painting.

Ah as mentioned above, be careful if it doesn't want to come off. My friend was debadging his 350z, and finally came to the conclusion they had used superglue or something of the like to put the badge back on at the dealer. Needless to say the paint was screwed, and had to be corrected with a lot of high speed buffing. So be careful.

Back