• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trouble starting

XJBARNEY

NAXJA Forum User
When my jeep has sat long enough to get cold It wont start, until I crank it forever. I listened closly and relized the fuel pump isnt starting right up. I takes it a while to start. Could it be my fuel pump? Or something else?

It's in the fuse box in the engine bay on the driver's side by the battery. It's a black box about 3" wide and 8" long. Take off the cover and you'll see the relay diagram. On my 98 the Fuel Pump relay is the one in the back, closest to the firewall. Try just swapping in a different relay and see if that helps. Otherwise, I'd clean your computer's connections and all that, see if it helps. Next step might be check the fuel pump itself.

When my jeep has sat long enough to get cold It wont start, until I crank it forever. I listened closly and relized the fuel pump isnt starting right up. I takes it a while to start. Could it be my fuel pump? Or something else?

what year????????

turned out to be wrong went to start the jeep a lil bit ago and did the same thing, just didnt take ass long for the fuel pump to start. What else could it be?????

I would have started with a fuel pump.. Yeah it may be a pain to get the tank down and such... Check the fuel pressure like suggested.. I just had the same symptoms you described. Checked my fuel pressure first thing sure enough I had none when the fuel pump supposedly primed the system and I had less than 30 psi when running at any rpm.. At the same time I replaced the fuel filter since your under there anyway, and I changed the regulator. That wasn't probably needed but I did it anyway. Swapped in the new parts, pump, relay, filter, regulator, ran a bottle of 104 with a full tank of 93 (nice to be out here on the east coast :) ) and solved my problem.. Turns over and fires in 2 cranks ruh ruh running.. I would also suggest at the same time if it hasnt been done recently is a tune up.. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor... I had a gap on my plugs anywhere from .050 to .065.... And my cap and rotor buttom were annihilated... Hope this helps....

Back