• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ Ocassionally Doesn't Idle - IAC Replaced

90Plum

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All-

I am still chasing a idle problem with my 1996 XJ Sport which is an automatic, 4.0. Origionally, the vehicle would not idle at all even though I could start it and keep it going by stepping on gas pedal. Upon the advice of the folks on this forum, I replaced the IAC and it seemed to have fixed the problem. However, ocassionally, the vehicle will exhibit a similar idle problem but I can nurse it along by stepping on gas pedal until it will finally idle on its own. Is it possible that the IAC is a defective part? Additionally, I had a question on the IAC installation. The instructions state that the pintle should protrude no longer than 1 1/8" which I construe as a maximimum length. But is their a minimum length? The length of the replacement pintle measured 7/8" while the origional IAC measured 1 1/4". Does anyone know if the pintle should be adjusted to a minimum length? Thanks in advance for all your help and support.

Gerry

The pintle length recommendation is just so you don't damage it during installation. The IAC works in a feedback type mode and the length is constantly changing.
I'd try squirting some spray oil down the orifice and see if this doesn't help. When mine gets sticky this has always helped me.
It's possible the pins are dirty at a connector, cleaning them with a good contact spray may help. In my experience the IAC needs all the voltage it can get to function properly, I've had mine act up when my battery was getting weak (way before it finally crapped out completely).

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the recommended way to clean the area of the IAC pintle? Is taking off the air intake hose from the air filter box and squirting carb cleaner down an appropriate way to clean things up or disconnect the IAC and squirt cleaner into that port? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gerry

Did you reset the PCM/ECU (disconnect neg battery cable for about 20 mins)? And you could try some di-electric grease on the IAC connections, like 8Mud said, to help get all the voltage possible.

Back