• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So I've got this big azz battery...

kujito

NAXJA Forum User
sitting in the garage, and wondering what to do with it. I'm wondering if there is a way to test it for cranking potential(cca). It was meant to be part of the power system for a cell site, not starting a motor. Don't know that that means it won't though:dunno:. It would be fantastic for secondary/accessory power, but the thing is HUGE(about 1.5x as long as stock) and I don't know where I'd put it without removing the stocker. Kinda doubt that it would fit there even.
Looking forward to future mods, not trying to do anything with it right now. I just stumbled upon it(them? might be 2) buried in the garage this weekend. I don't think it's ever seen a charge as it's still in what's left of the original cardboard box.

Any suggestions:idea:? Could vatozone test it? I don't know what info those batt. testers give.
Thanks,
Brian

any auto store that tests batteries should be able to tell you.

Some have boxes in the store that you need to bring it in or there are some that have hand held units that come out to the car.

Yeah, that occurred to me at the end of my last post. I don't even know if I could fit it under the hood, but it would/could be nice to have on board.

Yeah, that occurred to me at the end of my last post. I don't even know if I could fit it under the hood, but it would/could be nice to have on board.
most testers need a full charge to properly test, do a low amp or trickle charge, as it is better for the battery

Mount it as a second batt. in the cargo area.

I was thinking the same thing. Vent it somehow, Run some nice 00 welding cable up to the front, and you're golden.

Of course like said above, this is all if it's even 12 volts...

It will take more info besides being 12V.Most of those types of batteries are not meant for anything other than small amperage/continous loads!

Post a pic...if you're talking about what I'm thinking you're talking about, those batteries are by no means safe to put in a vehicle!! It's probably not 12v either.

You're talking about the types of batteries that are black on top, clear bottoms so you can see the liquid inside, and they usually have racks and racks of them inside the control house at electrical substations?? If that's what you've got, don't try to put it into a vehicle!!

Post a pic...if you're talking about what I'm thinking you're talking about, those batteries are by no means safe to put in a vehicle!! It's probably not 12v either.

You're talking about the types of batteries that are black on top, clear bottoms so you can see the liquid inside, and they usually have racks and racks of them inside the control house at electrical substations?? If that's what you've got, don't try to put it into a vehicle!!
Nobody even uses those anymore,if your seeing them then that plant is about 10-20 yrs behind in technology!

It is 12v. Meant to be strung together to run @ -48v. It's all white, built by Lucent or Avaya. It looks just like a car battery but much longer with terminals on one of the short ends, iirc. Like I said before, I noticed it under the table in the garage the other day and it's been tickling the back of my brain. Don't need it right now, but when I get around to it...?

Nobody even uses those anymore,if your seeing them then that plant is about 10-20 yrs behind in technology!

They still use em....up here in the northeast utilities are much much older than in AZ. Add in the fact that the population density is not evenly distributed like out west (everything is a clusterF here, ya know) and multiple changes of ownership of utilities, and you find those big batteries in substations!!!

Back