• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle u-joint question

mbogosia

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 cherokee with a np231 tc. I have a vibration that is much worse when the front driveshaft is in. I had the shaft rebuilt and balanced with no luck. Could the front axle u-joints at the front wheels make more noise when the front drive shaft is in and I am in 2wd, or do they spin the same? I assume they spin the same, but wanted to ask to make sure.

Yes drive shaft is out right now. Noise/vibration is gone. I have not checked the front u joints though. They look like the originals. They are very rusted on the outside. How do you check for play in them? Wheel on or off?

Thanks

No, it is dead silent without the front driveshaft. Once that goes in you can feel it up the middle. I just wanted to eliminate that it could be the u joints. I assume they spin the same with or without the front driveshaft.

i would imagine its the u-joint or the front DS is out of balance.

im sending mine to get balanced and then getting u-joints installed to alleviate the wobble.

Thats what I thought so I had all new u joints put in and I had it balanced. Still have the same vibe/noise. I noticed my front diff is leaking a bit at the pinion nut. I have to assume my problem is coming from there. But there is no play in the yoke at all.

I think it has to be either my front pinion bearing or my tc output bering.
You need to go back and fix your driveshaft angles first!

I think your problem is with the CV "center ball". You need to rebuild your DS.

EDIT: I see you have already done that! Check or just go ahead and replace the axle shaft U-joints if they are the originals

yeah, next step has to be axle shaft u joints. CV center ball has been rebuilt. I don't have any pinion angles to mess with because I removed the lift and I am now stock.

From all your post's,its obvious you dont know much about vehicles.There is basically no way the axle shafts joints are going to "come back thru the diff/pinion and get back to the driveshaft",unlees the carrier/bearings are already the issue.

How about the slip-yoke itself,it doesnt take much.Youve NEVER posted any "actual" numbers on anything!

Gee, thanks for the kind words. Do you want my drive shaft/pinion angles? There is no lift on it at the moment and it is stock. I had the same issue while lifted 2" also, so I don't think the angles are my problem!

Back