• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key switch?

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there,
Hope you are having a good weekend!

I just notice something kinda strange on my "new" 89 XJ

I have always used a key for the ignition, but I just noticed, that I can start the car without inserting a key!!! Just turn the chrome ring, and away you go!

Any thoughts on that one?

Also, the door key has a issue, with the cover where the key goes in is loose and is hard to align the key with the lock. The chrome cover with the slot seems to just move around. Can I just get a lock from a donor and but my cylinder in it?

Thanks in advance.

RG

yes simple if you take it out you can start it but if you twist it back and push down on the little knob handle thing (at the same time) next to it it will twist to the lock position there you go now its locked and you have a key and i always lock my wheel too just try to turn it when the key is in the lock position and the steering wheel will lock too.... is that what you ment

I have always used a key for the ignition, but I just noticed, that I can start the car without inserting a key!!! Just turn the chrome ring, and away you go!

That happened to a car I brought from a somewhat shadey used car dealer several years ago. Went to shut the car off when I got home, and the key fell out. Without thinking, I shut off the ignition, then I realised I could turn it back on without the key! Went right out and picked up a new assembly, turns out the old one had been intentionally gutted out, all the tumbler pins were missing!
As for your door lock, I also had similar. Went to a u-pull-it and found another XJ that still had it's keys. Pulled both door locks (not that hard) and installed in my vehicle, then had a couple of spare keys made. Only minor drawback is the rear hatch key is now different than the door key...

Thanks for the reply.

I did go and force the key to the lock position, and it locked the steering wheel and silver area around the key. I FEEL BETTER~~~~\

As far as the doors, can I switch the passenger with the drivers door locks?

Thanks again!

RG

The ignition cyclinder went bad on mine awhile ago. It wasnt to hard to fix, youre gonna need a puller and friend though. take the steering wheel nut off and then the 3 bolts around it, then youre gonna need that puller because theres a little cast piece that is on a splined shaft and once you have the wheel and everything removed you can put a puller on and it will come off , later on you will come to this odly shaped little plate that is kind of springy have your friend push this down HARD so you can get the retainer clip off of the shaft (it holds this piece on) and also your friend will have to push it hard to put this clip back on later, then once its off as far as the turn signal mechanism goes there is this little black piece that attaches to the turn signal lever and fits in this groove on a white piece inside the steering column (its real easy to see) undo that screw and it will free up some room to get to the cyclinder retainer screw, there is this torx head screw and loosen it out and slide it out and the cylinder simply slides out sideways, then once you have the new one in just put everything back together. also this job really wasnt that bad, just takes awhile but you can sit in the comfy drivers seat while you do it
i hope this helps, pm me for help if you need to

Yup, not too bad. I think the cylender costs about 45$ from Advance.
Pulling and reinstalling the wheel isnt too bad other than the ring that retains the lock plate. Its a PITA. Yeah you will have two keys, but i quit locking the doors after someone smashed the drivers side window.

Back