• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Locker install problem

BoC

NAXJA Member #1266
The keeper in the carrier holding the cross pin is not a removable bolt, like the d35. It looks like a small hollow pin with a length long slice in it. How do I get this out? Thanks for any advice.

BoC said:
The keeper in the carrier holding the cross pin is not a removable bolt, like the d35. It looks like a small hollow pin with a length long slice in it. How do I get this out? Thanks for any advice.

I used a punch to get it out. Tapped it with a hammer. The punch or rod must me damn near the same outside diameter as the pin. A bolt would work too.

Make sure you replace the crush pin. My son didn't and it came out and chewed his ring and pinion to pieces. They are only a few cents and worth the trouble of finding one to fit.:sunshine:

BoC said:
The cross pin is still in it. If I use a punch will it go in to the pin and clear?

Punch it through the backside(backside of the ring gear)(IIRC), and it shoud come out the other side.

boise49ers said:
Make sure you replace the crush pin. My son didn't and it came out and chewed his ring and pinion to pieces. They are only a few cents and worth the trouble of finding one to fit.:sunshine:

A master install kit should come with one. If not, a local axle shop should have one.

If it is a lunch box locker he won't get one. I bought an Aussie and my Son bought a Lock-rite. Neither had a new crush pin. Napa carries them also.
You'll love having the front locked. Then you will have to get the back locked too. Just SOP, trust me !
Have fun !

im about to install a aussie in my 30. thanks for the heads up. ill deffinitley head to NAPA and grab one. what did you ask for, just a crush pin for a Dana 30 front axle off of a Jeep XJ?

stewie said:
im about to install a aussie in my 30. thanks for the heads up. ill deffinitley head to NAPA and grab one. what did you ask for, just a crush pin for a Dana 30 front axle off of a Jeep XJ?

Just take the old part with you, for sizing pourposes and such. I got mine when I got a new carrier. HTH.

12GaugeXJ said:
Just take the old part with you, for sizing pourposes and such. I got mine when I got a new carrier. HTH.

Yep just like he said, I have a right up on installing an Aussie. Follow the link. Do not grind the corners of the carrier like I did though. Put it together in the carrier. It is more difficult, but it doesn't weaken the carrier which is what will take all the torque when you are wheelin. Have fun !

Install Link
http://myweb.cableone.net/cherokeexj/Aussie.htm

Just for the record it is not a "crush pin" It is a spring pin, some may call it a "spring dowel pin", others a "roll pin". But the industrial name for it is "spring pin".

Bob Myers said:
Just for the record it is not a "crush pin" It is a spring pin, some may call it a "spring dowel pin", others a "roll pin". But the industrial name for it is "spring pin".
That is good to know. I have been givin about a half dozen different names for it now. Roll pin sounds and looks about right though doesn't it ?

boise49ers said:
That is good to know. I have been givin about a half dozen different names for it now. Roll pin sounds and looks about right though doesn't it ?
SOunds great! Just don't try looking it up in an industrial catalog with that name, you will not finf a spring pin there.

Back