• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too much or too little gas??

Chrome

NAXJA Forum User
1995 XJ 2dr 4.0L NP232? (the stock automatic) all is stock but flowmaster and lift. (the plugs,wires and distributor are about a year old, and the fuel filter was changed in Feb during inspection)

Ok ok, i know to search, ive done that alot thru the years, but this one is confusing me, i need a guru or two. heres the rundown...

about a month ago, the jeep would start in the morning (not too cold, like 9am) and would idle rough, and would have kind of a hesitation for about 30 seconds pulling out the driveway, after that, no problems thru out the day. then it dissapeared.

When it came back a couple weeks ago, it would happen for about 30 after any start it sat for over an hour... then came the OBD1 code 51 (02 sensor) so i replaced that and reset the computer. no more codes.

However, last weekend as im driving (downhill) i noticed it was kind of stuttering. As the night went on it got ALOT worse. It seems to have no power, like its missing or somthing, and the ENGINE shakes like DW at about 2500RPM (guestimate). I have to hold the pedal to the floor (and it downshifts) just to maintain speed uphill. I read that the 02 code could be an overcompensation for the MAP going bad. so i replaced that (and reset the ECU).

Still, no fix. after that i even had to hold the pedal to the floor for it to start twice (the last time took a good minute for it to catch) It shakes so bad at times, my exhaust actually TWISTED and the rear hanger fell out the rubber thing. im guessing it vibrated to a loose spot and twisted. ANYWAYS.

Its hesitating and idling rough all the time, pretty bad. I replaced both the MAP and the 02 sensors, and tried the cleaning off the Temp Sensor and bang on the fuel tank tricks to no avail. is it starving for gas or is it too much? is there a way to find out with a computer hookup if its not giving any codes? where do i go next, a sensor?

btw, i can do boltons n such, but when it comes to diagnostics im a total noob.

I would check the map sensor vacuum line to the TB, make sure its good, then I'd check fuel pressure. Sounds like its not getting enough.

TB? Throttle Body? The Vacuum line from the MAP sensor goes to the Manifold, right next to the vacuum line that goes to the valve cover. is this wrong?!?

Back