• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking Transfercase Bearing?

MrShoeBoy

NAXJA Forum User
Today I removed the transfercase to replace the tranny output shaft seal and found the cause of my transfercase leak. For the past week there has been a leak between the t-case and tranny. The fluid was brownish colored GEAR oil. The problem was that the tranny NEVER got low of fluid, and if anything was OVER FULL. At the same time, I checked the transfercase and it was almost empty. So I refilled it and a few days later it was getting low again. There is no sign of red ATF fluid anywhere on, under, or floating around the Jeep.

I point my finger at the rebuild kit I installed a few weeks ago. The main shaft pilot bearing that came with the kit was just a standard bearing that you could wear like a ring. The one I pulled out of was like a cup. I didnt like this so I took the old bearing and cut it in half so I could use the back and used gasket schelac to hold it all together. The t-case was pumping ATF past this bearing and along the splines of the tranny and over filling it causing a leak at the rear.

Has anybody ever herd of this or know what I am talking about? Any ideas of what I should do?

Ya I know that I should have waited and gotten the correct bearing but I was in a hurry and now it shows.

Thanks,

AARON

BTT Somebody has to have some idea of what I am talking about?....Right?

AARON

Back