• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pressure Help!!

XJFever

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have a 1990 Cherokee Laredo. It was running fine for week or two until started sputtering and just died in a parking lot. So after much thinking I'm pretty sure somethings up with the fuel pump or relay wiring. I stuck a knife in the fuel line spot with the key on and fuel slowly came out then stopped. Basically when I try and start it, it will just crank and wont turn over.

So I bought this Jeep from someone who might have down this crap wiring job. Turns out they decided to bypass the actual relay connector and make their own wiring. It might be the fuel pump is bad, but then again the wiring that is done just doesn't make sense. But, considering it worked for a while before today, I just don't know.

So, for you electrical gurus, check out these pics and my details and tell me what you think is wrong.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

So i hooked the fuel pump up to a battery and it spun right up. for now i'm going to assume its the wiring. any ideas?
And I want to point out that I recently took all those wires off the relay thinking it was for the trailer hitch, not remembering which wire went where, guessed, and it ran fine.

Also, on picture 4 the big fat pink wire doesn't connect to any wire to the fuel pump, because the wire was cut for some reason and replaced with the green one. So, that must mean the terminal with the pink wire on the connector shouldn't have any wire in it.

This may be confusing but I'm just trying to provide as much detail as possible.

One last thing before I go to bed, since all wires from the fuel pump are connected at the harness except for the large pink one, couldn't I just stuff the green wire into the terminal the pink one is connected to and then just shove the relay in place??

blah blah blah, goodnight

Last edited:
ttt

if anyone knows what the 3 wires coming from the fuel pump are for, that might help too. Like which one is positive, negative, and what the other one is for.

Last edited:
Back