• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Various Questions: stock R&P ratios, ZJ brakes on MJ axle w/e-brake

XJ00RHD

NAXJA Forum User
Hey
I'm sorry if all these questions have been answered but my daily driver is down and I only have so much time to search for an answer.
I've got a '00 XJ with an 8.25 rear running 3.55's
I'm looking to put an '89 MJ D44 in but have a few hiccups to sort out.
1) the r&p in the 44 doesn't match, and the closest I can find is 3.54. Is that what i've actually got? is my build sheet lying? 90% of the lockers/LSD's i've found work for low-3.54 with counterparts for 3.73(or so)-up, suggestions?
2) currently the axle is set up with disk brakes off a 98 ZJ. do i need to stand on my head spilling incantations like crazy to make the hydraulic brakes work? Is there a kit or parts i need to connect the e-brake?
Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated
~C

Not 100% sure what you are asking but 3.54 and 3.55 are close enough to not worry about. The e-brake cables could probably be sourced from a ZJ. Also you may want to change your proportioning valve to a ZJ unit, I'm not 100% but search those terms and it should lead you in the right direction.

I'm not sure how one would spill an incantation though.

in OEM configuration....
....mj is sua, xj is soa,
....mj shocks mount to the leaf spring plate, NOT the axle
....of course xj's mount to the actual axle
the spacing between the spring perches are also differant, so you will need new perches, so even if the mj d44 has been converted to SOA, its still the wrong spacing, so, weld new perches.... even if you like to think you can squeeze em in, the missalignment will kill shackle bushings in fast order.(mj's have their leafs mounted below the unibody rails, while xj's are outboarded to the outside of the frame.
so hopefully theyre still mj sua, where you could just weld em on-top. but you'll still need shock mounts?
if he welded on new shock mounts for his mj, they wont work, mj's have both rear shocks behind the axle, while xj's have them on both sides.

Last edited:
btw, all modern jeep brakes are hydraulic.
most of the brake work is in the axle itself, so if its done, its 'done'.
assuming your soft body-side brake line is long enough

Thank you both for your help
Using it I was able to talk to my mechanic, who lucky for me is a hearty jeeper, and figure out that at this point in time its out of the question for me as a cost issue.
...one day it'll have full floaters and a 350... but that day is so far away they don't make calendars for it yet

Back