• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans swap question

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
I have researched this and have found some good info, although I'm looking for a more specific answer now. My XJ is an auto and I'm thinking of switching it to a stick. I want to switch it as easily as possible resulting in the least amount of downtime, so I figured I should look for the trans that would have come in my XJ if it was manual. Here's where I'm lost.
XJ is a '98 Limited. 242 t-case (full-time) 4.0L, auto trans. I'm guessing for '98 an AX-15 was used. My questions now are: what all do I need, how much will it cost, and what problems will I run into with this swap. Any computer/electrical issues, is the 242 t-case compatible, is there another trans that will work better for this, etc. Thanks.

The AX15 will bolt right up. You will need a pilot bearing which sits in the end of your crank shaft. As far as I know all AX15 equipped XJ's use the same P/N pilot bearing. The length of the front and rear drive shafts may not be the same as the front and rear on the donar vehicle so get the shafts that are bolted to the AX15 you are getting. The tranny computer will no longer be needed. I swapped the other way around so I am thinking of my experience in reverse.

Ok thanks. It will bolt right up to a 242 right? And is there anywhere that I could find a complete list of parts? I'm hoping I could get this done over a weekend, starting Friday night and getting done by Sunday night. Thanks.

Back