• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 parts to a 92 after the roll

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
I rolled my 99 a few days ago. (check out colorado section for a video) I found a 92 that does not run well for $700. Can I put the motor from the 99 in the 92 and match it up with the auto in it with out too much trouble. I know all of my lift and axle will be an easy swap I'm just worried about the motor. Mine is a 5 speed and the 92 is an auto. Any Thoughts? I know everyone want to see me tube out the 99 but I have to have a weather proof place for the kids to ride.

You may have to swap the flywheel with the flexplate and torque converter from the bad motor over to your good motor. Then it should be a matter of the wiring harness.

dont know what your smogg laws are in CO but swaping and OBD2 motor to a an OBD1 system you may have some issues with sensors or the computer.

Just swap the computer and any of the wire harness you need.

I just swapped a '99 motor into my '91 and it was no problem. The easiest thing is to use the '92 sensors, injectors, distributor and coil (the '99 parts are physically incompatible with the '92 engine harness). I would not swap computers because you'll have all kinds of secondary problems--the ECU would be OBDII while the tranny would not, there were emissions changes in later years, etc--and swapping sensors is a lot easier than dealing with that crap. For the tranny, just keep the flexplate, TCU and other parts that are already with the '92.

The last couple of pages in the thread in my sig have pics and details.

Back