• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust ?.

Ernrok

NAXJA Forum User
OK so it's time to replace my exhaust system 99 XJ 4.0. The tail pipe currently installed comes straight out at the end and the OEM pipe curves down. The tail pipe for the TJ Wrangler looks very much like what I want. Anyone know if this will work? Thanks

If you're looking to do it yourself, you can buy a complete exhaust system, or buy the components separately. I went with the Dynomax catback from Summit Racing, which has the tailpipe coming out almost horizontal, and cocked slightly to the passenger side (if you have, or are planning to use shackles, you will have to modify it). I think I paid right around 135 shipped last year, and got a $50 credit on my future purchases to boot. Not familiar with Wranglers, but there are a variety of tailpipe setups available if you shop around, some of which you can buy separately, as opposed to a full catback setup. I was going to piece together a system this way (didn't think the Turbo muffler would suit my tastes, as I'd had one on my old Sonoma, but it actually sounds good, IMO), but the deal they had going was too good to pass up. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
If you're looking to do it yourself, you can buy a complete exhaust system, or buy the components separately. I went with the Dynomax catback from Summit Racing, which has the tailpipe coming out almost horizontal, and cocked slightly to the passenger side (if you have, or are planning to use shackles, you will have to modify it). I think I paid right around 135 shipped last year, and got a $50 credit on my future purchases to boot. Not familiar with Wranglers, but there are a variety of tailpipe setups available if you shop around, some of which you can buy separately, as opposed to a full catback setup. I was going to piece together a system this way (didn't think the Turbo muffler would suit my tastes, as I'd had one on my old Sonoma, but it actually sounds good, IMO), but the deal they had going was too good to pass up. Hope that helps.

Hey thanks for the reply. I was looking at the flow master 50 that Rusty's sells as far as mufflers go. Just wondering how much louder it would be then the dynomax? I want something throatier but not to loud.

OK I'm going with the Dynomax system. Don't know how it sounds, but it should be ok. I'll post back when it's installed.
Ernrok

The Dynomax is pretty mellow- louder than stock, but not obnoxious. I found some clips on YouTube of guys with various exhaust setups. They mostly had a little more bark than mine, but a couple sounded like hopped up tractors to me.

I tried to get a short clip of mine using my crappy cellcam, but it just sounds like noise. If you hate it, you could always swap out mufflers and keep your new pipes. That was plan B or C. I also put an APN header, new cat, and new downpipe on. Overall, I'm happy with it.

Back