• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squelching noise with heater and AC?

oo7ravisXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Its coming from under the hood. Only happens when I have the heater or AC on and I rev the engine. It a super loud squelching noise. Any ideas?

-Thanks, Travis

idler pulley??

Have you replaced/loosened the belt recently?

You have to have that belt on VERY tight, or it'll squelch.

2X on the belt. When the a/c comes on it puts a load on the belt, so it could still be the idler pulley though. XJs are notorious for squealing belts from a variety of reasons but it's usually not the compresser, the compresser is just the trigger.

2X on the belt. When the a/c comes on it puts a load on the belt, so it could still be the idler pulley though. XJs are notorious for squealing belts from a variety of reasons but it's usually not the compresser, the compresser is just the trigger.

X2 my belt squealed when I turned on both with the ac and heater on two seperate occasions for me. First the problem was my idler pulley, second was the harmonic balancer. But before you replace those I would tighten the belt up.

Back