• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do you remove the power window motor?

power drill would be my recommendation, you could try your teeth or a hammer, but with noticeably poor results. Seriously, when they are rivited in you just dril out one side of the rivet, you can then either pop rivet the new motor in or use bolts or machine screws. On my wife's blazer I tapped the holes and used machine screws.

just make sure that since you are in cali it is ok with the emissions board.

but why would california emissions not let me screw in my window motor and how on earth would they ever know? i think u have the wrong idea of california homie

you can also drill into the rivet about half way then use a hammer and punch to knock the rivet out. Save a little bit of time and some drill bits. The two XJs i pulled window regulators and door locks from both had bolts instead of rivets, so i grabbed the bolts and too and used those during the reinstall. Don't know if XJs had all their door guts replaced or if Jeep ditched the rivets at some point (one was a 94 another 96). But not having to worry about getting the right sized sheet metal screw made for a quicker and cleaner reinstall.

rivets work by going through an open hole and having a flare on either side. That is how they attach, you either have to chisel the flare off or drill it off. take the door panel off, drill the rivets, pull the motor, put the new one in, put the panel back on. you should not have to rip anything apart, but the only way to get to it is to pull the door panel out.

okay so i popped out the rivets but it looks like the window motor is attached to the window with like some links or somethin, any special way of getting this off or can i just not see in there good enough?

I think everyone assumed the motor assemble was Out of the door when they suggested drilling the rivets...

On my jeep I just unbolted the 2 bolts that mount the glass to the pulley. Pull the glass out of the way(rubber trim on the door needs to come off) then unbolt the 3 screws/nuts I forget that are the motor to the door. Then theres 2 fasteners 1 at the top/bottom of the long slide. Then the whole motor/long slide/worm screw come out as a unit.

i want to say that they are held in by pressure on some set screws or something like that, I do nto remember for sure since I have done a couple of different setups since I last did the jeep.

Back