• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird roof spare tire q...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Can the roof support a 31x10.5 directly, or do you HAVE to sit it on the crossbars? I'm figuring that using the crossbars to "corral" the tire, less chance of it flipping off on fl. to ny I95 trips.

Also, I have a set of Yakima round-tube gutter mount roof racks, are they stronger than the factory set-up for a full length cargo rack and/or tire carrier? Can either be beefed up?

Thanks,

Mike

IMO putting a tire on the roof sux. you should be able to fit a 31 in the stock tire mount location, i just barely fit a 33 there when i needed my backseat. i put a stocker on my roof to drive to spring break and it just killed the highway driving it felt like i had a sail on the roof. if you can squeeze it on the inside or get a tire carrier bumper.

but if you do want to carry it on the roof i did exactly what you are planning with a 34 once, used the bars to corral it and the strapped across it so it wouldn't flip off the sides

The spare usually does live inside standing up, but need to cram a load of cargo away from the elements.

Thinking about building a ghetto-fab plywood box for the roof out of all the scrap wood lying around my house, spare can then live back inside.

Guestimated that gas will cost minimum $220 one-way under best conditions, still have 3.55's w/31's. Christmas/New Years' week airfares are insane, screwed either way.

Thanks,

Mike

i think it can hold about 500lbs. just make sure it is secure from side to side. ive seen mine hangin next to the side window in the rear view mirror while on the trail, and those windows break easy.

Cool, still trying to decide if the Yakima's stronger than oem,

Thanks,

Mike

the yakima would distribute the wieght better any you would have the sides to hold the tire.

I fit a 35" tire flat on the floor behind the rear seat with the rear seat being usable and locked in place.

I lined the floor of the cargo area with Quicksilver (type of plastic) makes the tire slide out like it was on grease and then built a shelf over the tire so I have a nice flat area for stuff.

This keeps the COG low and I don't need a step ladder to get a 70lb tire on the roof. I am old and vertically challenged. I run tight trails with overhanging branches and I was worried about putting the tire on the roof.

Lunatic728 said:
I fit a 35" tire flat on the floor behind the rear seat with the rear seat being usable and locked in place.

I lined the floor of the cargo area with Quicksilver (type of plastic) makes the tire slide out like it was on grease and then built a shelf over the tire so I have a nice flat area for stuff.

This keeps the COG low and I don't need a step ladder to get a 70lb tire on the roof. I am old and vertically challenged. I run tight trails with overhanging branches and I was worried about putting the tire on the roof.

Not doubting you but how? I've got a 33" MTR spare that will not fit lying down or loaded in the original spot with the seat up. I have it standing behind the seat, nearly completely blocking my rearward visibility.

Sorry for the hijack.

And if someone puts 500 lbs directly on the roof (or rack for that matter) let me know where you are. I want to 1) avoid that stretch of road and 2) come laugh after your roof caves in.

:D

good point, i didn't say put that much on the rack, thats just how much weight it can hold.

mikeny59 said:
Can the roof support a 31x10.5 directly, or do you HAVE to sit it on the crossbars? I'm figuring that using the crossbars to "corral" the tire, less chance of it flipping off on fl. to ny I95 trips.

I had mine wedged in between the bars for a while. I only originally put it up ther to have more interior space to pack stuff for a trip we were taking. I was just too lazy to take it back off until the gas prices shot up. I put it up there again this past spring for the same reason, and still have it there, but I put it on the rails this time because I heard people say it was a bad idea to put it directly on the roof. I haven't seen a difference either way I put it(though I did feel it was more secure in between the bars) on the roof. No problems wheeling or on I95 up to about 78 MPH besides vibration and MPG.
I only feel this is a temporary solution and will be puting it on a bumper mounted carrier soon however.

Back