• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch replacement details or write up?

ResurreXJion

NAXJA Forum User
I have done clutch jobs before. Every clutch job has it's own set of issues. This is my first Cherokee clutch. My Chilton's manual is virtually WORTHLESS in the clutch details department. ZERO details or descriptions. Other than the external torx bolts at the top of the bellhousing.....IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD BE AWARE OF/EXPECT?

Is there a detailed write-up on a cherokee clutch replacement? I am looking for details like: Must I seperate the trans and transfer case, or can I drop them as a unit? Must the shifter come out of the trans? Should I remove the console or not? Will the clutch slave fluid lines break on me or are they pretty solid? what is the hardest part of the clutch job?.......things like that. Crap that isnt covered in the manual.

Thank you much,

Tom

1996 4.0. 5 speed

get a centerforce first off!

I would if I had less mileage on my rig. 220K on original everything, I dont want to put increased load pressure/engagement on a trans with that many miles on it.

The way I see it, the origianl clutch set up lasted for 220K miles without failure, and I beat the piss out of it, the next one should last me as long, so I bought OEM spec original style clutch kit.

Adding hi-performance parts on a vehicle with this many miles almost always results in disaster. I have a bet with my chevy buddy that Ill get a half milllion out of the origianl drivetrain on this.

other than the 2 external torx on the top of the bellhousing, there is nothing special about an xj clutch that is any different than any other hydraulic clutch. yours has the external slave wihich makes the job much easier than the internal slave on my 89. on my 89, i had to remove/seperate the shifter from the trans but did not need to take out the console. my 89(peugot trans) had a rubber boot at the top of the trans where the shifter connects to the trans, be careful not to tear that boot or moister/debrie may get into the trans.

Did you complete the clutch repair? I just received the last part required to do my clutch and convert my '91 AX-15 to an external slave cylinder like yours.

By the way, I went with an OEM type clutch also. I have 209,000 miles on mine with no rebuild. All LuK components. Let me know how it went. I am starting mine tomorrow!

Back