• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 gas tank quirk

90XJay

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So my bud has a 96 xj and he calls me telling me it won't start and that it just turns over. I tell him I'm almost positive it's the CPS and we pick one up (funny thing to note his CPS was a 97+, listed CPS for a 96 has the wrong connector) . Me being a bonehead I swapped it before even checking for spark/fuel and after we swap it find that it still doesn't start. It had spark, then I check the fuel and no pressure at all at the rail. I didn't hear the pump kick on so we began searching for a continuity tester so I could check the plug at the tank (which I found 96 is like it's own special year, I swapped out a 95 tank which has the same connector as my 90 but the 96's was different and not the same as a 97+either). Just for the heck of it I called my bud up who I thought had a 96 to ask if he had an extra pump and he didn't but he told me of a trick. He said his did the same thing before and if you tap the tank with a hammer while someone turns it over it fixes it. Said it happen to him 3 times and then never happened again. For shits and giggles we tried it and after the second hit it fired right up. Fixed. However his dad is worried it's just gonna break again so I was wondering if anyone knew what would cause the pump not to work yet a tap from a hammer on the tank will fix? Grounds on the sending unit looked fine (his xj is in nice shape, DD never wheeled, stock) and the connector was in like new shape. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have (2) 96 sport XJ's, one for DD and one trail/expedition rig. The DD has done this about 5-6 times over the last 100,000 miles or so. I have to do the same exact thing, tap the tank with something, and the pump works great again. It will work for an unknown amount of time, and then just quit again. After pricing the fuel pumps for the 96's, I just figured I would keep tapping the bitch until it stopped fixing itself. I know, not much help, but just another confirmation. It obviously something electrical, maybe a bad spot on the motor armature or connection at the pump...

~James

Back