• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The final word on towing in OD?

oldmustangjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
Is it safe to tow in OD? I have a B&M tranny cooler and I tow two atvs on a light weight trailer. I've been using 3 but I'd like to use OD to get better mileage. If I use OD am in for a tranny replacement?

i would think if its flat its ok you should be able to tell by the way the xj acts if you are ok. if it isnt constantly downshifting youre ok

Your tranny wont heat up and cause damage as long as you can hold OD without it kicking down and shifting back frequently. Flat ground, i'd say you should be fine towing in OD, but if in the hills i'd just shift it out of OD

try and keep that torque converter locked as much as you can and you should be fine, especially withe the tranny cooler

Not being sure what size cooler you have, I'll go on a limb and say you should be fine. I tow a 3100# bass boat in the mountains of VA and when I do find flat land I will shift it into OD. I have a B&M temp guage on the tranny and a Hayden 30,000GVW tranny cooler(overkill) and I seldom get over 170 on a hot humid summer day towing uphill. My XJ I tow with is 90' RENIX on the closed cooling system and has the original tranny under it with 170k on it. I never have cooling issues with the engine or tranny.

90boat2ni2.jpg

Back