• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

geaer question for my xj 44?

used yukon gears? I hope your offer wasnt more than $50.

Used gears will be very loud. But yes, they should work. You'll need a carrier to go with them.

Were early Bronco front 44s high-pinion? I know the full-size broncos were. High pinion gears WOULD NOT work in your XJ 44. Full size bronco axles are commonly used for axle swaps. I would make sure I knew exactly what that axle came from before I bought the gears.

Were early Bronco front 44s high-pinion? I know the full-size broncos were. High pinion gears WOULD NOT work in your XJ 44. Full size bronco axles are commonly used for axle swaps. I would make sure I knew exactly what that axle came from before I bought the gears.

shouldn't be they are low pinion IIRC

what is a new carrier. and dont worry i didnt offer him to much. i am not to worried about noise. plus he said they were just installed and not used.

and i am doing this all myself. a professional is not touching one inch of this cherokee. thank you very much for your support.
o and why will used gears be louder?

is it because they have already been worn into a the original setup

and i am doing this all myself. a professional is not touching one inch of this cherokee. thank you very much for your support.
o and why will used gears be louder?

is it because they have already been worn into a the original setup

Gears is the only thing I have a professional do, on any of my vehicles. I wasn't making a dig at you, I was giving you very sound advice.

And yes, the first time you drive on a set of gears, even if its only once, it wears a pattern into them that is permanent.

ok thank you i will take your advice into consideration and i will do some more research on the install. i really want to attempt this myself though. thats part of the reason for buying cheap gears

The concern isnt really for damaging the gears, its for what happens when they fail on the highway :/

I had a pinion bearing go about a year ago, rear end locked up at about 50 mph.

Do you have an accurate set of calipers, and accurate torque wrench, a dial indicator and magnetic base, a good carrier bearing puller and/or a set of setup bearings?

Gear setup is a complex operation that requires several non-standard tools. I really would encourage you to seek professional help, unless you're determined to do it yourself and are willing to spend double the cost of professional install for the learning experience. On a Dana 44 you will be pressing pinion and carrier bearings off and on multiple times to get everything right. It could easily take you several days, and unless you have a good bearing puller and press (or setup bearings), you will likely ruin a lot of bearings. You will need to buy a master install kit to get the bearings, shims, gear marking compound, ring gear bolts, etc. that you need. These run about a hundred bucks if you get a good deal.

well thats unfortunate. and that happened with pro installed gears. my jeep will in no way be my daily driver and probably wont see much highway time

Last edited:
Do you have an accurate set of calipers, and accurate torque wrench, a dial indicator and magnetic base, a good carrier bearing puller and/or a set of setup bearings?

Gear setup is a complex operation that requires several non-standard tools. I really would encourage you to seek professional help, unless you're determined to do it yourself and are willing to spend double the cost of professional install for the learning experience. On a Dana 44 you will be pressing pinion and carrier bearings off and on multiple times to get everything right. It could easily take you several days, and unless you have a good bearing puller and press (or setup bearings), you will likely ruin a lot of bearings. You will need to buy a master install kit to get the bearings, shims, gear marking compound, ring gear bolts, etc. that you need. These run about a hundred bucks if you get a good deal.

i will have to ask around. i know for a fact that more than half those tools are at my dads shop. not so sure about a bearing/carrier puller.

i will have to ask around. i know for a fact that more than half those tools are at my dads shop. not so sure about a bearing/carrier puller.

Keep in mind too you need a normal 3/8 drive torque wrench for the bearing caps, and also an inch pound 'needle' type torque wrench for setting the pinion preload, you can't use the 'click' type for that. You may also need a case spreader on the d44, and will need to have a press handy.

u guys are going to laugh but... do u think autozone would have some of these "specialty" tools in their loan service?
No, you can't even buy most of those tools at Autozone, and I doubt if you can buy ring and pinion gears from them either, so they would have no reason to have those tools available.

this is coming from someone who has his gear work done profesionally.... i drop off the axles, thats it!

unless you literally live on a giant plot of land that you wheel, and the jeep will NEVER see highway driving... do not gamble on budget gear setup, its not just your life at stake, its the people in other cars!(im sure theres children in some of those!)

budget cant be a reason for doing your own gears!
tools + that first 'mistake' resulting in a grenaded diff will cost you more then the $400-500 in labor it would cost you to get em done professionally, and you would never have to worry about it!

do you do your own dentistry?
what research have you done? what write ups have you found usefull? books?

that said.... if your gonna do it, commit! buy the tools(all of them, and good ones!)... do the extensive research! and be detail oriented, and precise! we want you to succeed. we just want to stress caution in this delicate subject! i dont know shit about gear patterns and whatnot, but if you have any questions, ask here in mod tech, and a gearhead will probably help you out!

Last edited:
Previous owner on my 73 CJ-5 did his own gears...it only cost me a little over $1,000 to fix it correctly when the pinion broke. The shrapnel inside the diff destroyed everything inside except the axleshafts. I think I even ended up having to buy a new cover, if I remember correctly.

Just because the gears you're trying to buy came from a D44 doesn't mean they'll fit in your app. The seller in that thread told you how to find out if they'll work in your app...have you done that yet or is this thread your way of doing that homework?

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back