• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 overhead console into 1999

searchingforXJ

NAXJA Forum User
First off let me say that I've done a ton of searching and can't find an answer to my questions. I am primarily after some answers to questions but I also thought it would be a good idea to amalgamate some of the many links I have come across to help anyone who tries to do this in the future.

I have a 99 sport, auto, 4-door with an aftermarket keyless entry and auto start.

So far this is what I've discovered through all my searching:

-1997 harness has 3 connectors, the 99 has 2. The small 3-wire connectors will plug into each other. Photos are here.

-I found wiring diagrams for both the 97 & 99 online.

-When I compare the 2 diagrams it appears the wiring is coloured the same.

-Apparently the 1997 has 2 extra wires, not sure what to do with these.

I am fine with splicing the wires together since the connectors don't match up.

My questions relate to the wiring connectors. Does anyone have the pinouts for both the 1997 & 1999? I found them for a 98 and 01 but obviously they aren't the years I need. My 2 questions would probably be answered if I had the pin-outs.

Question #1 - On the 1997 wiring harness connector, which wh/blk wire is the 12V, and which is the data connection?

Question #2 - The third connector on the 1997 wiring harness has several wires with colours that are not shown on either wiring diagram. I don't know what they are for. In fact, none of the wires in the 3rd connector for the 1997 wiring harness are shown in the wiring diagrams.

I'm hoping to tackle this on the weekend so I want to be as prepared as I can before I start. I plan on wiring it up first to make sure everything functions before I go cutting apart the headliner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Derek,
Does this help at all? It's for a 1999.
80996525.gif

I remember dealing with the white/black wires as well, I think I guessed and got them right the first time. If it comes down to it, I'll go out and take a picture of my Jeep, I just don't want to have to dismantle the glovebox and kick panel if it's not necessary. Let me know if you need more help.
-Collin

Derek,
Does this help at all? It's for a 1999.
80996525.gif

I remember dealing with the white/black wires as well, I think I guessed and got them right the first time. If it comes down to it, I'll go out and take a picture of my Jeep, I just don't want to have to dismantle the glovebox and kick panel if it's not necessary. Let me know if you need more help.
-Collin

Thanks. I can figure out which one is the 12V in my 99 with a multimeter. What I am trying to figure out is which is which in the wiring harness you sent me.

Question #1 - it won't hurt anything if you guess wrong. If the console doesn't function correctly, swap the white/black wires.

Here is the wiring info - http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883824 - be sure and look at the last posting.

This thread is a good one - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77589

Thanks for the links, I've seen both and I actually linked the first one in my original post.

I was under the impression that putting 12V on a data circuit (read somewhere it has 0-2.5V on it) would not be a good thing. If it comes to it I guess I'll try and cross my fingers.

Question #1 - it won't hurt anything if you guess wrong. If the console doesn't function correctly, swap the white/black wires.

I did this once and there was no problems after the wires were switched.

So, I grabbed on from a 98, including the wiring harness and put it in my 99. Everything turns on but I cant seem to get the computer to sync up with my 99. The trip odometer doesn't match with the one on my dash. The MPG displays something like 13.2, but I haven't even drivin it yet. It just seems like it has to get reset.

I tried holding the two buttons while I turned the ignition on but it didn't work. As soon as it turned on, the whole display lit up for a few seconds(like it wanted to reset), then went back to what it said.

Am I missing something?

As far as I know the trip odo is separate from the one on the dash. Atleast mine is. I did manage to reset mine but I can't remember exactly how (I did right after install and haven't since). I think you may have to reset each selection individually. With the Jeep on try holding the 2 buttons down for a bit and see what happens. If it works then move to the next feature and repeat.

Why would it be separate though? If it were, how does it get the readings on that?

I don't know, I guess it's like having another trip odo. What would be the point of it matching the one on the dash? It's just as easy to look at the dash as it is to look at the overhead so I don't really see why having them match would be useful. I had a similar one in my old dakota . On long trips I would reset the one on the dash every time I filled up, but on the overhead I used it to track the total distance on the trip.

The dashboard trip odo gets its data from the speed sensor on the T-case just like the speedometer. If you have other than stock size tires and have not changed the speedo sensor gear, both of these readings will be off. The OHC calculates all its data from the ECM based on the engine performance and has its own memory device. Data from previous vehicles will remain for as long as one year.

To reset the OHC, just select a display that changes like AVG ECO, ECO or ET and then press and hold the two OHC buttons until it resets. Complete OHC instructions are in your Owners Manual.

Last edited:
So, I get what you're saying about it being separate, kinda like trip A and trip B. But, the trip odometer cycles through a lot quicker than the one on the overhead console. For instance my dash one will say 8 miles, while the overhead says like 2 miles. So I'm assuming because of that, the MPG reading will be off as well. Any one having similar problems?

Back