• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock boots-Yay or Nay?

Nay.
IMO, They are fine on pure street rigs that never see roads that aren't freshly paved.
Anything else and they just collect grime and dirt underneath and end up causing more harm than good in the long run.

Yeah, I was never quite sure what they're supposed to do. All they did for me was make it hard to see if I needed a little more bumpstop height. (I did).

I ran them on the bilsteins on my toyota, and after i took them off about 6 months later to sell the, the boots were full of mud since you can barely clean them out (even though they have drain holes). I am about to take the boots off of my new bili's on the XJ though.

Nay. I bought some after I had to buy a new shock since I broke one. I put it on, and then after only offroading once, and letting the car sit for a month or so, I decided to cut it off and there was still mud and everything trapped in there.

The only time I would do it is if the shock was upside down. shaft was on the bottom, and the shock body was on the top.

Nay no boots!

If the body of the shock is all rusted and nasty looking you can just slide the boot over that and leave the piston uncovered.

Most low end twin tube design shock manufacturers have a lifetime warranty including corrosion. Shock boots are required if supplied or the warranty is void. However it's good for the lifetime of the shock, not the truck or it's owner. They estimate the lifetime to be around 60k miles. In normal muddy or wet off road conditions you will fill the boot with crap way before the 60K miles are up. that crap will wear on the upper seal and eventually lead to a shock failing. usually around 60,001 mile. without the boot you risk the possibility of not having a warranty covered if it fails before the 60k, but usually without all the crap wearing on the upper seal the shocks will last well past 100k. provided you don't over heat them.

I have over 150k on a set of Raunchy RS9000's that have never seen a boot.

just my $.02 worth

Dingo

'Ran boots on Ranchos on my CJ. One winter in salt country, and the shock bodies were rust pitted under the boots BAD. I don't run them any more on any thing.

Actually, we did put a shock boot on the steering column on my friends Scrambler to stop cold air from entering through the column joints in the winter. :D

Back