• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front DS bolts at TC

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
Long story made short:
I lost my bolts for the DS. The ones on the TC end. Took the DS out a week or two ago and I've lost them.

Will regular 6 point bolt head work?

What are they? Size? Thread pitch?

Long story made short:
I lost my bolts for the DS. The ones on the TC end. Took the DS out a week or two ago and I've lost them.

Will regular 6 point bolt head work?

What are they? Size? Thread pitch?
I don't believe regular 6pts will work because they probably have too big of a head. IIRC in that area it's fairly tight because of the shape of the yoke. I would guess they are around an M4 or M6 but guesses only count in horshoes and hand grenades (or something like that).

Yes, a 6-point will fit, I've got them on mine. I'm pretty sure I've even got the thread pitch and size buried in my website somewhere...but I can't find it. You don't have any to match up with? Grab a small selection of metric bolts at the hardware store and match 'em up. I'm thinking it's a fine pitch, appx 6 or 8mm bolt but you'll have to play around with the length a bit.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yes, a 6-point will fit, I've got them on mine. I'm pretty sure I've even got the thread pitch and size buried in my website somewhere...but I can't find it. You don't have any to match up with? Grab a small selection of metric bolts at the hardware store and match 'em up. I'm thinking it's a fine pitch, appx 6 or 8mm bolt but you'll have to play around with the length a bit.

Jim www.yuccaman.com
I stand corrected...thanks for clarifying.

You sure they're metric? I just looked at a set I have out in the garage and they have 6-hash marks on the head meaning they are SAE. They measured 5/16-24 by 1.125" long. Knowing M8-1.0 and 5/16-fine are dang close (and I've been burnt by this before), I double checked them with taps. The 5/16 tap fit them nicely and the M8 tap would not go more than a few threads.

These were from an 89, so it's possible it depends on the year.

The parts catalog for a 1996 shows the bolts as part number 6033893 => .312-24x1.170

Same part for a ZJ with a double cardan, but a ZJ with a CV is an M8 bolt.

Very cool.

Thank you lawson!

:thumbup:

Hmmm - I'm not positive it was metric, but since you measured and I was going on memory, I'll go with your answer...

You sure they're metric? I just looked at a set I have out in the garage and they have 6-hash marks on the head meaning they are SAE.

dont hash marks on the head indicate the grade of the bolt?
ive never heard of sae bolts ALLWAYS having hash marks up top.

dont hash marks on the head indicate the grade of the bolt?
ive never heard of sae bolts ALLWAYS having hash marks up top.

You are right,not all sae bolts have hash marks(cheap low quality bolts that should never be used on anything automotive related),but if you see hash marks, it allways means the bolt is sae.Metric grade strength is marked with a number.

6 equally spaced hash designates SAE grade 8 which are measured in US units. No marks at all can mean ASE grades 1 or 2, or ASTM 307 (still US measurements), or possiblly an unmarked Metric bolt. A Letter/number combination is usually an ASTM grade. Just numbers like 8.8,10.9, or 12.9 are ISO markings which are metric.

This link shows all the markings, but is a little deceptive that it give all the units in standard english, include the metric iso bolts. http://www.americanfastener.com/technical/grade_markings_steel.asp

Back