• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LOUD SQUEAL after starting 5 seconds!

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting frustrated. 2001 XJ Sport.
Loud squeal after starting it up, lasts for about 5-10 seconds.
Even worse when blower is on.
Replaced the belt and it got louder. A few weeks later AC stops working.

Next the alternator goes bad. I replaced the alternator, battery...
and I just replaced the AC Compressor.

The damn Jeep is still squealing for about 5-8 seconds after I start it up.
It's a loud high pitched squeal.
What could possibly be causing this?

The only thing left to replace is the powersteering pump, right?
How much tension is supposed to be on the belt?
You're not suppossed to use belt dressing on serpenine belts, right?
HELP!

Are you starting the engine with the AC engaged? If so, the screech you hear could be the AC clutch slipping at start up. Those were the symptoms I had when my AC clutch died.

Check the front of the AC compressor for large signs of "clutch dust", as this could potentially be the culprit....

Hell with it. I just sprayed the belt and all the pulleys with WD40 and now it doesn't squeal anymore. But honestly, listening closely.. it sounds like the squeal was coming from the water pump pulley.

Ivan said:
Check the front of the AC compressor for large signs of "clutch dust", as this could potentially be the culprit....

I've been experiencing squeeling when turning the a/c on for quite a while now...it only seems to happen on hot starts (or restarts after the engine has got hot and cooled off some) and only does it the first time i cut the a/c on, and for only about 5-10 seconds, or two good revs of the engine......after this initial a/c start up it will be quiet for the rest of the day with multiple engine starts and a/c starts. What's this "clutch dust" you speak of?

barillms, If you've replaced the belt and it got louder, i'd have to wonder if you have a pulley thats "worn out" and slipping way too much. A good way to get a better idea of where the squeel is coming from is take a long piece of pipe (PVC works best) hold one end up to one ear, and the other end to the area in the engine the squeeling is coming from. Do this while you have a buddy start the engine for you....this should help isolate the area of where the squeel is coming from.

99XJSPORT06 said:
....What's this "clutch dust" you speak of?...QUOTE]

You have an AC clutch that when power is applied to it, it engages with the AC pulley, and operates the compressor. Over time, the clutch simply wears out, and the gap between the clutch and the pulley widens. The wider the gap becomes, the less the clutch engages, and it slips more. As it slips more (the screech you hear), it wears out more, and thus the death cycle of the AC clutch begins, until it no longer holds.....

The clutch itself is about $250, and add another $200 for the dealer to install. I didn't have any luck finding an aftermarket clutch, and wound up buying it from the dealer....

There's a pretty good write up here on replacing it--> http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86912

Check the link with post #3 for more detail....

Back