• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How high can I go befroe i need an SYE?

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking into a lift for my '89 and need to know how high i can go before i need an sye, I tried searching but did not see anything that i felt would directly apply so i figured id ask.

also does anyone have a location on a writeup for half doors?

Thanks

Trent

sye is a little bit harder to search for, start with a 3.5" lift. if you have vibrations add a transfer case drop, if thats not enough, you need a sye.
early models have a higher threshold for lift then say a 99', some run up to 4.5 w/o. but it isnt as huge of a deal as it seems.(i dont have one at 3.5", or 4.5" or even on the 5.5"-2wd.
the good news is, theres more options then ever! some quite cheap!
now search!

I tried searching

thanks for the info i was trying to determine whether or not to go with the 4.5 from the 3.5 or stick to the 3.5 i can only afford to do one so buying one and then going higher in the near future wont be a possibility

im running a 4.5 rc lift with the transfercase drop with no troubles. but i dont street it much, when ever im going more than 15-20miles i trailer it.

My Rustys 3.5 sat at like 5" at first.. I dropped the Tcase and all was well. Then I instaled an SYE and put the Tcase back to normal and it was a completely different animal. So much smoother.

For 180 bucks an SYE is worth it.

At 3.5 I was fine in my 89 with a D35 but when I went to 4.5/5" and a 8.25 rear I needed one. I tried the tc drop at first but it still wasn't right even with degree shims. So I got a Tom Woods shaft and the hd sye, and took out the tc drop, but left the degree shims. All is good now.

I have a RE 3.5" lift on my 98 w/o a tcase drop and it's fine, no vibes. I'm tempted to lift another inch, but don't want to push it. I'm running 33's right now with trimmed fenders. 3.5" of lift and 33's is really all you need to a good trail rig.

http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1000583gt2.jpg
1000583gt2.th.jpg

I'm running a 4.5" RC lift on a 98 with about 1" transfer case drop without any problems. I have stock D35 rear (unfortunately) and stock gears for now. Through this summer, I ran just over 100 miles to/from the beach each weekend at speeds up to 70 mph - the speedo read 70mph but I am running 33s so probably closer to 80mph when calibrated.

I know a guy that ran 8" without an SYE on a 96 and he was fine. Although not the best because that output bearing on the tcase was put through more stress than it was designed for..

You can do whatever you want until it breaks. Prior to breaking everything is fine right?

thanks for the info i was trying to determine whether or not to go with the 4.5 from the 3.5 or stick to the 3.5 i can only afford to do one so buying one and then going higher in the near future wont be a possibility

DEFINITELY a 4.5" lift, 3.5 you will regret. you also have an older model so you should be straight

Back