• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Misfire prob. Tired of throwing parts. Please help!

walrus108

NAXJA Forum User
Just found this site and signed up! My recent problems led me here. I used to be a regular on an old XJ forum that no longer exist. Howdy Y'all!

I have a stock 2001 XJ 4.0l 4x4 that has always ran perfectly. It's at 135,000 now and the MIL light recently came on. With my scan tool I initially got 2 codes. P0304 (cylinder #4 misfire) and P0174 (2/1 Fuel system lean). It also began surging and idling rough when this code was thrown. The p0174 has never reappeared since it was first cleared. It still runs and drives just poorly. It hasn't ever stalled.

I started with the basics and replaced the plugs with the OEM type Champions and checked all the gaps. The coil pack had some signs of arching in the boots so I decided to replace it too. Most of you know there are no distributor cap, rotor, or wires on this year. I cleared the codes and started it. This did not change a thing. Same symptoms, same code minus the P0174. The p0174 has never reappeared since it was first cleared, as I said. Still #4 misfire though.

Next, I removed the fuel rail and cleaned the holes in the manifold and the spray ends of the injectors with brake clean. I switched #4 and #1, cleared the codes, and started it. Still ran the same but now it gave me #1 misfire code. Bingo!(So I thought). Bought a new injector and replaced the #1 that seemed to be faulty. Still the same symptoms, only now I'm getting P0300 (random misfire), P0302 (#2 misfire), and P0305 (#5 misfire). I was ready to shoot the thing at this point, but I love it so!

Then I found #1 TDC and removed the camshaft sensor and checked alignment with a toothpick. It was dead on as best as I could tell. Just like in the books anyhow. There was pleanty of wear on the sensor and some dust in the bottom so I blew that out and cleaned it and replaced the actual sensor on the top with a new one. I'm sure I fixed something that was soon to wear out but nothing changed symptom wise. Same codes.

Here are some things (clues) that I know about it so far.

1. My scan tool shows that at operating temp, both banks of O2 sensors are sweeping. Next, I will put my volt meter on each one to double check.

2. On the scan tool, the TPS seems to move smoothly, but it reads 17.9% at idle. Is this normal? I will also be putting my voltmeter on that fist light tomorrow.

3. The plugs that came out of it were the same Champion, looked very normal, good color, no signs of carbon, oil, or detonation. The cylinders looked very clean through the plug holes.

4. I see no cracks under the valve covers at all. No coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant. It still runs at 195 max like it always has and there's been zero coolant loss ever. I really don't think that there's the known carbon build up problem and if there was, I doubt that it would have occured on at least 3 cylinders simultaniously. I will be checking compression though but it's really not likely IMO.

5. It runs the worst when it's cold and you try to accelerate. When it's warm it seems to run pretty much normal just off idle @ 1500 rpm, esp after the light comes on. Maybe the computer's compensating for something and it gets better?

6. The MIL light has flashed, when it is cold, during acceleration, but just for a short time.

7. Fuel pressure at the rail is a constant 46psi at idle and at a load. It never waivers.

8. There is no noticable egg smell at the exhaust and it doesn't sound like any clogged cat I have ever heard. Doesn't mean it isn't that for sure, it just doesn't seem likely in my experience.

Here are some questions that it would be really helpful to have the answer to before I throw anymore parts at this thing.

1. Can a Crankshaft position sensor cause misfires? Keep in mind that it still starts fine. It just runs like crap when it does.

2. Can IAC cause random misfires?

3. How likely is a vacuum leak to cause this? There are no definite leaks but I have not eliminated this as a possibility. This also would relate to the IAC, unmetered air. But is that a likely cause for a problem like this?

4. How about TPS? Could this possibly be the cause of random misfires?

I consider myself a fairly competent mechanic. I have worked as a Volvo mechanic for over 5 years, have done all my own repairs since I was 16, drag raced, rebuilt engines, etc. I just have never had to learn newer Jeeps and this one has me stumped. Many of the problems on newer Volvos that come up really puzzle us at first. We might see a new problem and it mike take a week to figure it out the first time. Like chasing a ghost. But then we solve it. Then we start getting in 3 per week with the very same thing and we look like Einstein for solving it so fast! I'm hoping there are a few of you that know much more about Jeeps than I do that have seen this a few times and regularly SOLVED it more than once. Using the search on here, I found many somewhat similar problems to mine, but none just like it, and no real answers to the dilemma.

If any of you have the diagnostic flow chart for this problem and could email it to me, that would be a HUGE help.

Thanks to any of those who can offer any advice at all.

Make / Models : Model/Build Years : JEEP / CHEROKEE 2000
JEEP / GRAND CHEROKEE 2000
JEEP / WRANGLER 2000
Manufacturer : CHRYSLER LLC Service Bulletin Number : 1801301 Date of Bulletin : JUN 11, 2001 NHTSA Item Number : 620067 Component : ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:GASOLINE Summary :
spacer.gif
SOME VEHICLE ENGINES MAY EXHIBIT A ROUGH IDLE AND / OR MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) LIGHT ON CONDITION UPON INITIAL START-UP AFTER A COLD SOAK WHEN TEMPERATURES ARE BELOW 50 DEGREES F (10 DEGREES C). THIS BULLETIN INVOLVES SELECTIVELY ERASING AND REPROGRAMMING THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) WITH NEW SOFTWARE. *TT

There's another TSB, NHTSA #10003538, Mulitple Cylinder Misfire.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t211968.html

0900303 - 4.0L MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE
Date: 08/01/03
Model Year(s): 1999-2004

Description: NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L ENGINE. This bulletin involves inspection of all engine exhaust valves and a decarbonizing procedure if necessary.

Details: The customer may experience an incident of engine misfire during certain vehicle operating conditions. The misfire may occur when the vehicle is operated between 50 - 70 MPH and under light loading conditions, e.g. slight uphill road grades. This condition may occur at all ambient conditions, but is more noticeable when ambient conditions are less than 0 C (32 F).

If the vehicle is equipped with On-Board Diagnostic (OBD), a MIL illumination may also have occurred due to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire. Various single cylinder misfire DTC?s may also be present. If the frequency of misfire is high the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) may place the engine in ?Limp-In? mode.

The misfire condition may be caused by one or more engine exhaust valves that are slow to close. Late closure of an exhaust valve may be the result of no valve rotation and associated build up of carbon on the exhaust valve stem.

This condition may occur when the engine is not allowed to run at engine RPM?s that are greater than 3,200 RPM. At 3,200 RPM or higher the engine exhaust valves will rotate if not impeded by high carbon deposits. Low engine RPM?s and high carbon deposits are associated with short trip driving where the vehicle engine is not allowed to fully warm to normal engine operating temperatures. Cold ambient temperatures will increase engine warm-up time and add to the opportunity of carbon deposit build-up on the stem of the engine exhaust valve.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=486652

Last edited:
First off your fuel pressure should vary with engine vacuum. Check it running then pull off the vacuum line to the regulator. It should change roughly equal to the engine vacuum

Sounds like next step is to limp it into the stealership and see what they say. Thanks for the info.

About the fuel pressure. How much should it vary on a 2001? MAYBE moved 1 psi but only for a split sec and it stayed right at 46. maybe I have a vacuum prob also? I'll check out if my regulator is working. It's a different system than most FI cars I have worked on. No return line.

that FP regulator is in the tank, part of the pump.

when it fails, it causes lean conditions at higher RPM.

One of the users here had a 99 with a glowing, red hot header. A failed regulator caused an extremely lean burn.

that lean code might be the ticket, "old man" is right.

Back