• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto to manual??????

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
So i cant find the xj i want 99 or97,98 2 dr 5 speed low miles so i want to but a automatic and convert. This is what i have Tranny, Crossmember and mount, slave clutch and brake pedal, i think part of the harness and thoe coomp (from a 96 2 door 5spd) my question is how hard is this going to be and what else do i need? How many cases of beer would you say?:cheers:

AFAIK your 96 Computer wont work. dont quote me.

It will not - OBD-II is pickier than I am.

Your best bet? Find a donor rig from a rollover, and get all of the parts you'll need (transmission, electronics, clutch pedal, shifter, probably the transfer case shift linkage, wiring, ...) and pull it all for the conversion. The later the model, the more work you're in for.

Second plan - go with a "Manumatic" shifter kit for the AW4 (like BrettM's - www.awshifting.com) and convert your AW4 to a "semi-automatic" transmission (automatic in daily operation, with the ability to convert to manual operation.) It will be less work in the long run.

I've done this in other vehicles a few times. It can be done right and be just as good as factory if you know what your doing.

The advice about finding a complete donor car is some good advice.

The most important thing that you will run into is the hole in your floor board. It seems simple, but this is the area you will run into trouble when you think you've thought of everything!

The best trick I can offer you is this. Take a big enough sheet of paper (or 3 in case you mess up a few times), and a brick of charcoal. Find a factory manual XJ, pull back all the carpet and insulation to get to the sheetmetal, and make a template of the floorboard. Just like we used to do with leaves and stuff in kindergarten. Your brake rod will be in the same place. So will all the contours etc. Then you will know exactly where and how big to cut your clutch rod hole in the floor. You will run into a poor feeling clutch, fast wearing bushings, or (at worst) broken rods if you don't.

Ask me how I know. :gee:

Hope that helps.

Back