• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can i use BOTH stock AND aux steer reservoir?

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
I was going to eliminate my stock xj res, and just run a big aux resevoir I have, and was hoping that I'd be able to use some kind of adapter into the steering pump return port.....xj's have a pump-mounted tank with an o-ring, and the port is SMOOTH unlike other pumps that are threaded.......

so can I use both? can the stock res. "pull" return fluid through another res? Will there be a starvation/overfill problem?

thanks

Seems to me that the only way to get that to work is to have the aux mounted higher than the main. I doubt that's going to happen though. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the way I see it. I'll have my pump apart next week and want to run an appx. .5 gallon res. so I'll be looking at the issue of mounting things up too.

Well, I can't say I can answer that question, but I may be able to give you an alternative. Check out a 2.5l XJ power steering pump system. It uses a remote resevoir. The pump uses the same style pressure hose fitting, but for the intake it has a large (maybe 1/2" or 5/8") nipple for a hose that runs from a remote resevior. The pump mounting is very similar to a 4.0l and could be adapted easily.

Take a look at a 2.5l XJ or YJ to see if it will work for you.

Bryan

Remote

Brian, what year do I need to look for. My '85 2.5l has the old style GM pump/resevoir unit and I think what you're talking about would make a good swap

I run the stock reservior and an external cooler without any issues, and I plan on using the same setup with full hydro. I'd bet a large aux. reservior would work fine as well.
-Jon

The year that I know for sure is a 95. I recently replaced an engine on a 95 2.5l XJ. The pump mounting brackets looked identical to a 95 4.0l. I had to swap out the pump because of a leak at the large fluid return nipple. The pressure line had worn a hole through it. I swapped out the pump and all the hoses. The pumps share a similar mounting bracket and tensioner assy as a 87 to 95 style 4.0l. The resevoir was mounted to the radiator support slightly above the level of the pump.

Don't know when they started using this style, but I do recall some YJ 2.5l engines have the same setup too.

Bryan

I Just got done putting a 2.5L pump in my MJ tonight (w/ aux reservoir)

you have to swap the pulleys, but EVERYTHING else bolts right up.

just get some bulk hose and then run the reservoir wherever you want then. I'll try to get some pics for ya tomorrow B ;)

I use to have an 86 GMC Safari van that had the divorced resevoir version of this pump. The Astro version probably had the same pump. These vans are very easy to find in wrecking yards.

yep, its pretty much ceratin that using BOTH ressies won't work....found a couple posts on POR that show that the stock will overflow, and the aux ressie, will have a tendancy to starve.

the jeep lead is solid, thanks.
gm is pretty much the same too, but the thread sizes are different. I already have the metric fittings that jeep uses, 16mm and 18mm, and they're 10 bucks a pc, therefore, I'm needin' to stay with a jeep solution

Cheap XJ, you say "swap the pulley"....meaning, I use my current pulley, and put it on the donor pump, right? like, the shafts are the same size? if so, that's no problem, I have the tool to do so.

thanks for the answers guys...

the 4-banger pulley sits forward about 3/8" more than the 6 cylinder pulley does. (well, comparing 87 to 87, the newer stuff may be the same :dunno: )

the ONLY other difference with the pump is the low pressure return port. on the 6-cyl pump, it's that smooth fitting. on the 4-cyl pump it's a barbed fitting that takes a 5/8" hose (it's significantly larger than the one on the 6-cyl pump)

the only reason I did it is because I somehow eneded up with a bad pump on my good 4.0L, a good pump on my bad 2.5L, and no more money to get parts.

Cheap, is the barbed fitting an NPT on the other end? or is it the 18mm o-ring fitting?

I'm just curious at this point, doesn't really matter, the barbed end is all I need to know, cause it will work beautifully.

thanks again.

on the return side, ALL the fittings are barbed fittings (where the res plumbs in)

I'm still tryin to get a hold of a digital camera... Mine's somewhere in the Caribbean right now :(

Back