• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cut and weld shackle relocation brackets?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am seriously thinking about getting these brackets:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=955999&highlight=relocation+brackets

But I have an aftermarket hitch, AND I built a heavy duty gas tank skid plat that runs full length on the uni-body.

SO, I am thinking of buying the brackets, cutting off the part that has the 3 bolts, and runs along the uni-body.

Has anyone else done this? How has it held up? Pics? This is my DD and trail rig, I want to be able to flog it hard and not worry about bending up the mount or anything.

Thoughts? Experience?

Thanks for any input!

Our recomendation is to lower the hitch and skid plate the 1/4" and put these in between them and the frame. That being said as long as you have faith in your welding abilities or whoever welds them for you then you can do whatever you want with them.

Pm me with any questions.

Last edited:
my conern here is the hitch and skid have no "flex" room. So if I put this bracket between uni-body and skid and hitch, the hitch and skid will then be off camber at some wierd angle.... I am not even sure I could get the bolt holes to all line back up.

I am saying all this to see if anyone has any ideas. These Brackets seem like just the ticket I need right now. I have been looking at blocks (yuck and no way) and new springs ($$$). I only want to add about an inch, and if I can do that, make the back flexier and softer riding, BONUS. so these really are the ticket, I just gotta figure out a way to make it work safely.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

I am not whining, I am saying that the way I built my gas tank skid (1/4 and 3/16 material) that the bolt holes all barely lined up with it perfectly flat and a floor jack pushing everything up and together. I truly don't think without re-fabbing that whole corner of my gas skid that it would all line up.

thanks!

If its really that big of a problem....just cut it off.......but be sure to weld the box in.

On that note, I had no problem with my tank skid and hitch.

190365604307_0_BG.jpg

so lower the other side .250" too :)
Dont you have to do "both" sides anyway?How do you do one shackle box w/o doing the other?

is it possible to slot the holes on th eskid to make sure it aligns up with the holes? u clould use a die grinder with a carbide bit or a dremel and still leave it under the jeep,

Back