• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

decoding vin number

I've heard if you e-mail Chrysler the VIN, they will send e-mail you a build sheet; although I'v never tried it....

You can also go to the dealer and give them your vin and they will print out your build sheet.

Don't even bother if you're asking about the '84 V6 XJ in your sig, Chrysler has recycled those build codes so many times over the years that you'll end up with three different engines and a host of packages that were never available in the Cherokee.

Couple years ago one of the members posted his build sheet, and we laughed long and hard picking it apart...

The basic decode of your 17-digit VIN will give you manufacturer, manufacturing country, assembly plant, model line, trim level, engine, fuel, year of manufacture, etc. The exact info will change based on manufacturer, year, and options but in the case of my 96 it's as follows:

1 1 Country : USA
2 J Manufacturer: Jeep (USA)
3 4 Type: MPV
4 F GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating ) : 1819-2272 kg
5 J Model: Cherokee - 4WD
6 6 Series: Sport/Classic
7 8 Body type 4-door
8 S Engine 4,0 litres, I-6, HO
9 3 Control digit: Has passed check
10 T Year: 1996
11 L Plant: Toledo #1
12-17 123456 Serial number

That's the build info I know I can believe. I wouldn't expect anything detailed or accurate for my 12-year old XJ, much less your 24-year old one.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I've heard if you e-mail Chrysler the VIN, they will send e-mail you a build sheet; although I'v never tried it....

I tried this for my 87 MJ and they couldn't do it. They said some years are incomplete. More likely they just didn't want to find it.

even if they could do it much of it would be wrong. i got one for my '90 and my build sheet said i had a V-6 and some other options never available for the XJ. yours is too old anyway

Back