• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought some herculiner...

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
My plans are to line the cargo area as I have some rust...and I pulled the insulation, so I figure herculiner will help protect, and quite my ride (more so then just carpet, which I'm putting back in over the herculiner). Should I just pull all of the seats and carpet and line everything? Or can I just line the cargo area and go back over the floor boards down the road if I choose (I checked, no rust).

For those of you who did this, is it a pain to come back and finish? I just don't really see the need to line the whole thing when only the cargo area sees much abuse/water.

~Scott

P.S. If I line the cargo area...I also figure that will give me an idea of how much I like the product without risk, since again, my carpet will be going back over it.

I used quite a bit of this stuff on my rock rails. Tear everything out and get it done in one sitting. It makes no sense to do it twice. Waste of time to me. It took me 1 pint of it to do my rock rails... It goes on soupy, but is really easy to use. You have to use a hell of a lot of coats of it though to make it look good.

But like you said, if you want, just line the ass end and see whats up. I know your gonna like it so if i were you, I'd line the whole jeeps inside...

Keil

just remember to keep it off your hootus.

LOL have a good time trying to explain that again...... hootus what a word LOL

Hah yeah I wont go touching the stuff!

I think you have a point Keil...but the other thing is, to prep it and everything it takes time...and unfortunately, it sounds like tomorrow is my last day to pain (since it'll be raining). My cargo area is all ready to go, just another run-over with acetone and the herculiner can go on...but my floor boards would need more prep.

Maybe I should just do the back, not put any of the interiour back in (I have the headliner out, so all the panels are off) and finish when it's not raining.

~Scott

Scott,
I herculined my whole interior while I was building the cage (everything was already out anyway).
The carpet, trim and everything you need to remove for the rear cargo area is completely seperate from the front passenger compartment so it would be reasonably easy to go back and do the front at a different time. Keep in mind to do the back is reasonably easy to access everthing. Doing the front is much more time consuming (seats, center consul, etc all need to be removed to do the front).

The stuff goes on very easy and it doesn't take much on a flat surface. I think I did 2 coats total.

I put my insulation and carpet back over it after it had dried (it does take some time to dry and will smell bad for a few weeks after doing it but it seems to go away eventually).

Also, I expected it to be quiter, but I don't notice any difference at all after doing it.

Michael

Its really not that bad to pull the interior, I can totally strip my whole interior in like 30 min. But ive already done it at least 3 times now.

Also when you put your carpet back in, cut it up so you can remove it without pulling the seats, this has worked very well for me because If one section gets dunked I can pull it without removing the whole interior again. Also if you want more insulation put some rubberized undercoating under everything or throw down more carpet insulation or a carpet mat under it.

-Alex

Yeah Alex, I learned from what happend when I pulled you out at Reiter...I cut out my carpet for the rear cargo area with the seat still in.

I guess we'll see how the weather treats me after school, if all goes well I'll paint the cargo, and maybe strip the front and paint that too...but it depends.

~Scott

Its really not that bad to pull the interior, I can totally strip my whole interior in like 30 min. But ive already done it at least 3 times now.

Also when you put your carpet back in, cut it up so you can remove it without pulling the seats, this has worked very well for me because If one section gets dunked I can pull it without removing the whole interior again. Also if you want more insulation put some rubberized undercoating under everything or throw down more carpet insulation or a carpet mat under it.

-Alex

I understand the benefits of cutting the carpet. But there are several disadvantages also that should be recognized; It alows dirt to get under the carpet and mat and ruin it, it never goes back the same, etc. Personally it doesn't take too long to remove everything (30 minutes is a little quick if you still have all of your trim, center consul, seats (fr/rear) etc. But it isn't too big of a job.

Also, becareful of ruberized under coatings. Many of them can't take the heat from the exhaust and engine/tranny and will go soft, smell, move, etc. I wouldn't think that painting Herculiner over a nother paint would be a great result either?

Michael

Carpet? we do not need no stinking carpet. With a herculiner painted floor all have to do is roll down the windows and and drive thought the car wash.

Hey, I just did the same thing. It's easier to just take everything out now and do the interior at one time, but you can just do the rear. The carpet comes in two different pieces. The front ends at the cargo area under the rear seat, then the rear carpet picks up and gos all the way back. I'm lucky I just did mine, because i sunk it in a lake two weeks ago and it sure was easy to wash and clean out after spraying that stuff on it. Just be sure to put a thick coating on if you don't plan on putting the carpet back in.:piratefla

I understand the benefits of cutting the carpet. But there are several disadvantages also that should be recognized; It alows dirt to get under the carpet and mat and ruin it, it never goes back the same, etc. Personally it doesn't take too long to remove everything (30 minutes is a little quick if you still have all of your trim, center consul, seats (fr/rear) etc. But it isn't too big of a job.

Also, becareful of ruberized under coatings. Many of them can't take the heat from the exhaust and engine/tranny and will go soft, smell, move, etc. I wouldn't think that painting Herculiner over a nother paint would be a great result either?

Michael

Michael my carpet hasn't been nice since I first dunked my jeep last year, after that its been all downhill from there, so im not to worried about that part of it. I cut it around the seats so its kinda hard to tell where its cut unless you look really hard for it.

As far as putting stuff under the herculiner I am not really sure about that.

-Alex

Michael my carpet hasn't been nice since I first dunked my jeep last year, after that its been all downhill from there, so im not to worried about that part of it. I cut it around the seats so its kinda hard to tell where its cut unless you look really hard for it.
-Alex

I realize that, I just wanted to make it clear to others that consider this option if stuff does get under the carpet (and it will if there are joins) it will quickly destroy the pad and possibly carpet.

Michael

Back