• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATP Headers Smog problem

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
i have ATP (pt #101212) on my 96 cherokee ive been trying to get it smogged. the smog shop tells me there not legal even though i told them id bring them pictures of the tubular headers cherokees come stock with. ATP says there legal and dont need to have C.A.R.B stickers because there stock replacement. ATP answers there phone once a year and apparently never when the smog shop calls... anyone know what i can do??

sounds like a guy trying to abuse his power. take it somewhere else, this guy is a douche. the manifold on a 96 is nothing but a collection of tubes, there is no reason why he should fail it. 96's don't have EGR, air injection, or even an O2 sensor on the manifold so he's an idiot.

im going to find a different shop tommorow hopefully i can get by

Yeah, try a different shop, but 96 is first year for ODBII, so they're stricter. They didn't even bat an eye at my borla which I think has a carb eo on it somewhere. He did shake his head and chuckle at the half smashed cat. Still passed though. This was a test only.

well i guess the smog shop isnt really at fault. I talked to a guy at ATP and he contacted my smog shop but he said he wouldn't contact the air resource board. i don't see why they wouldn't originally get a carb number for it. To save the consumer the problems.

so now im waiting for ATP to send a fax to my smog shop. who will intern fax CARB and hope they reply all the while my registration expires today since ive been waiting on CARB numbers for all of the bolt ons =/.
i guess this is what you get for buying a car out of state

i don't see why they wouldn't originally get a carb number for it. To save the consumer the problems.

Because it is MAJOR $$$$$$$ to get the testing done for a CARB EO number. This is why you see so many more items for 49 states and not legal in CA. Welcome to the Republic of Kalifornia... bend over now!

Because it is MAJOR $$$$$$$ to get the testing done for a CARB EO number. This is why you see so many more items for 49 states and not legal in CA. Welcome to the Republic of Kalifornia... bend over now!

yeah i kinda figured that was it. anywho C.A.R.B. contacted the smog shop and told them to pass it

Cool. If I was you, I would try to get something in writing from CARB so you won't have to deal with this two years from now.

Call a different header company (like borla or gibson)

Tell them you need a carb EO sticker because yours got lost/burned up/po never put it on. Offer to pay 5 bucks for the sticker to cover printing and shipping.

Profit.

Call a different header company (like borla or gibson)

Tell them you need a carb EO sticker because yours got lost/burned up/po never put it on. Offer to pay 5 bucks for the sticker to cover printing and shipping.

Profit.

Good luck. Everyone I have talked to, that have tried this type of thing finds out the manufacture will only send out a CARB sticker IF you can show a reciept for the exact item. That's if you can even get them to do it. That's why a lot of header companies will have a stamped tag that is welded to the header. Nothing to lose.

Buddy of mine recently got Kenne Bell to send him a replacement sticker for a Mustang GT Supercharger system that he bought used/out of state. They sent it to him no problem

Back