• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition switch, confused

Maz

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I know what an ignition switch is. That's where the key goes, right? Then, I have read references to something called starter ignition switch and it's location being down below the steering column, under the dash, or something like that.

Are these 2 different 'ignition switches?'

If so, does anyone have a picture of the starter ignition switch, and the best way to get to it to check out wiring that reportedly get damaged and cause electrical problems?

Thanks

The key/lock cylinder as at the top,the actual switch is at the bottom of the column its connected to the key by a rod about a foot long.

Found it in the FSM. Thanks all.

I have read threads where the poster talked about by-passing some of the circuits that go through the ignition switch, without much detail. I can't even find that particular thread. Does anyone have any more detail on this; like, wiring diagrams, links, write-ups, and so on?

TIA

Just replaced mine this weekend. The ignition switch, not the lock cylinder, is located behind the knee panel.

Mine's an '87. You can see the switch just behind the dimmer switch (turns your brights on and off) on top of the steering column. It's that silver lookin thing.
103_1268.jpg

The ignition switch is in your FSM. The brown wire to the ignition switch is usually the one that gets crispy. The heater circuit and the resistor pack is often the cause. But most any sub system can short and flash a contact inside the switch. Checking the connector at the switch and the brown wire for signs of heat are a good idea.
The switch isn't actually one switch, it is a stack of switches (sub systems) and actually fairly simple.

2wrmfi8.png

PM EcoMike and ask him what he advises.

Back