• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cheap jeep with minimal work involved

RidingDurty

NAXJA Forum User
I've been wishing to start another off road vehicle adventure (which they always are) and I've decided on a cheap jeep.

Things this vehicle needs to do:
be able to be daily driven, even though it won't be
be able to tow my 17' aluminum boat (1250lbs)
be as inexpensive as possible.

The jeep:

I wish to spend less than $1000 on a jeep, it'll be 4x4 with a 5 speed, year will most likely be whatever's available, as I don't know what years had what (does anyone have a master list? like what rear end came in what years and such)

The parts:
Clayton 6" LA kit
Stock D30 front
D44 rear (possible wheel cylinder upgrade)
15x10 rock-crawler specials (under $40 a piece)
33x12.5x15 retreads from treadwright
SYE and tom woods driveshaft from rusty's
I own a compressor and tank, so most likely an air locker front and rear like ARB.

what am I missing? What do I need to know? It's my first jeep, i'm usually a fullsize truck guy.

So what does it take to swap an 8.8 from a ford in? I'd really rather have disk brakes (self cleaning + towing with bigger tires). Does the lug pattern then change?

They all came with limited slips in the explorers didn't they?

lug pattern stays the same, no they did not all come w/ LSD's and as far as installing them do a searh for "8.8 swap" and it has been covered hundreds of times.

6" is kinda overkill just to run 33s'. With minor trimming and bumpstopping they'd fit on a 4.5", or even a 3" lift. Towing will be safer and easier with a lower lift. Not to mention lower center of gravity == better stability off road.

this is very true. I got inchitis and went 4.5 to 6.5 and then on to 8". Now I am slowly redoing my rig to go back around 5-6" w/ proper bumpstops and a lower COG. Bigger is not always better.......

OK, so it'll be a 4.5", I have no problem with it, it'll be a mostly trail rig, no real rock-crawling. What offset for wheels? Do I need to go 3.75 to with 15x10 and 33x12.5?

how's the rub situation?

seriously dude, there are eleventy billion lift threads on here, do some homework before asking the same questions that have been asked eleventy billion times. search for 'wheel offset" or something.

You don't need 10" wheels to run 12.5" tires. 15x8s are more then enough with ~4.5 to 3.75" of backspacing.

Back