• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ door interchange?

toplessxj89

NAXJA Forum User
i got 97+ doors for my 2 door cherokee. they had been in a roll over accident so i got them cheap. the passenger side was perfect. i swaped it in and changed the slammer and was good. the driver side is good except a big dent and its a little torqued. i got it on the cherokee. it shuts and stays shut and is useable but it is impossible to align. it is off by alot and will not seal.

the glass/ interior panel, widows and everything are are perfect.
there is a 2 door at the u pull it thats missing its interior and has the driverside window smashed out. the sheet metal on it is nearly perfect. the problem is its and 88.

now to my question.
can i take the door off the 88 and switch everything of my 97 door including latch interior panel 6.5 inch speaker ect..??

if not it looks like my door gonna be in the vice and get hit with a BFH a couple of times

I dont believe that the panel will just "snap" into place b/c I know the 4 door 96 down doors will not take the 97 up panels w/o some modification. Can it be done, I suppose, but it will not just be a "plug and play" job to the best of my knowledge. Maybe some 2 door owners with a bit more knowledge will chime in and prove me wrong.

well if its just a couple of holes then its not a problem. i am worried about the window not working. is it possible to change over to the open window design?

in a 4 door the tracks are different and you have to change that, a 2 door I am assuming that you would have to change the tracks/guides as well.

BGSLVRXJ has worked on teh 96 down to 97 up window exchange. maybe he will see this thread and chime in.

i searched for threads by him and it says he doesn't exist.

i think i am just gonna take a wack at this door and see if i can get it unbent.
if not all the junkers i called want like 250 bucks for a 97 +door

yeah I screwed up on his user name. It is BIGSLVRXJ I sent him a PM with a link to this thread. I am not sure if he posted up about his work on the door swap, but he does have knowledge in what it takes. The kid eats, breathes and shits XJ.....

The interior panel is much different. You can theoretically get it to work, but like XJ&TJ4ME said, it's a pain. I am going to be doing the reverse of this, putting 96- panels on 97+ doors and plan on spending a full day doing it. The rear doors of a 4 door are the same but the fronts are a different animal. The 6.5" speaker may or may not fit well in your older doors, seems like some brands did, some didn't. The latch is completely different I believe, this is one part I've never gotten into but the original duo that did the door swap, Kejtar and XJohnnyc, had said that the latch is completely different within the door itself, apparently the bolt pattern I believe. Honestly, I would take the panel off and beat the reinforcements back out to see what will happen, you say it doesn't fit right now, it can't get much worse. Hope I've been of some help.
-Collin

Last edited:
Back