• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pressure???

bryceyoda

NAXJA Forum User
hey guy's im not to sure if this is normal or not... i have a 1998 cherokee 4.0l and at idle it has about 10psi or the first notch and while driving it goes up around 30. it has 100000 miles. what does your guys oil pressure read??:flamemad:

30? while driving seems low to me... mine sits round 40 at idle... and while driving goes to round 55psi... that seems way too low....o my jeep is a 2000 with 127000 on the clock!

its about right. idle should be above 7 when warm. 30 while driving is also fine. when cold and right after an oil change it will read a little higher. thicker oil will show a slightly higher pressure. but youre fine

Ive looked this up before also, the normal is about 15 to 30. Mine sits at that at idol after its been running awhile, but while im in the gas its up around 60+. Then again I have a renux engine. Might be a lil diffrent from your HO.

Ed

It is common for older XJs as they all are by now... to need a new sender. It is as simple as locating it under the hood, unplugging it and unscrewing the sender. Putting the new one it... It was about a 15 minute job. and I still had time to get a beer from the fridge when done.

Fixed my low pressure readings on my XJ.

my 98 did the same thing somtimes it would drop so low the check gauges light would come on. so i unhooked the oil pressure sending unit and did a mechanical gauge in its place. so i know real oil pressure. its about 40-50 psi all the time now.

doubleshackle015.jpg

You could probably save the money on replacing it, I replaced mine and still reads the same. Though the replacement did appear to be a POS compared to the factory one that I broke, also half the price.

In my 2000 Classic i tend to idle at around 20 psi, and driving its around 40 psi. Try using a mechanical gauge to determine if its your sending unit or if you oil pressure is actually that low. I think 13 is the lowests psi listed in the factory service manual. :patriot:

TJHillbilly

I've got 225000 miles on my 96 4.0L HO.
I use 10W30 high milage Casteroil GTX and a Pure-one filter.
At Cold idle I get 45psi and 60 psi on the highway.
At Hot idle I get 35psi and 50 psi highway.
These numbers are using the OEM pressure sensor, and eyeball estimating the needle position on the dash gauge.

just broke my sending unit with changing my filter. looked like it was already 1/2 way there.. just boughta oem replacement. id prob start there if i were you..

ya shit mine at hot idle today was a tad under the first mark so i think that reads under 10psi.... that cant be good! but there is no ticking or noises and runs good. when i cruse on the hwy it doesnt go over 30psi

Back