• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!! new P/S pump leaking??

baybilly

NAXJA Forum User
the wifes 92 had a bad water pump bearing going out. so after pulling everything out i noticed that the P/S pump front bearing didn't sound good. after pulling the pully off the seal was gone and the cage holding the bearings was half gone. no problem get a new pump right, WRONG!! after putting it all back together and driving it for two days the P/S pump is leaking bad from the front seal the best i can tell, bad pump or did i miss somthing. working fine untill the new pump????????? could a bad bad high pressure hose cause it to build up to much pressure or should i just return it thew the front window of Federated auto parts ???

Last edited:
theres an 0-ring in between the steering box and the lines, double check that those are in there.
were you a gentleman installing the pulley? if one was to.... say..... hit the pulley with a mallet.... this kinda thing would be expected, did you use the pulley installation tool?

it's a chance you take whether they'll take it back if you do. I trust you have eliminated the other possible sources?

ya, checked all. it had to be the front seal or the o-ring so went and picked up a new one and installed tonight. after pulling the other one out i found a small piece of black plastic stuck in the pressure line at the fitting on the pump???? after looking at it close it looks like a piece of the plastic plug they put in after the rebuild to keep the dirt out. so my guess is it got into the pump and did some damage. i just hope this was the only piece. would that make the pump build up to much pressure and start pushing by the seals???? new one on and all is well so far/ fingers crossed/ Thanks for all your help everyone/ Dave

Back