• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Was thinking of lowering rear gear in 95 xj what is stock size

95cherjustin

NAXJA Forum User
4.0 aw4 auto 95 xj 2 door 4.0, just curious if i lower the rear gear for a little better mpg what is my stock size and what is a good website for a set of lower gears thanks.

4.0 aw4 auto 95 xj 2 door 4.0, just curious if i lower the rear gear for a little better mpg what is my stock size and what is a good website for a set of lower gears thanks.

Are you done yet??Youve asked every frickin question and yet your still fishin.Buy a frickin Honda,Jeeps are Jeeps,if you cant afford it,sell it!!

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

i was gonna leave the sticker shock fun for the gear guy. but i guess youve been fallowing his trail of threads. somehow i imagine when he finds out how much its gonna cost him to regear two axles (hopefully he isnt a DO-IT-YOURSELFER) he might just buy one of them hondas

Are you done yet??Youve asked every frickin question and yet your still fishin.Buy a frickin Honda,Jeeps are Jeeps,if you cant afford it,sell it!!

its a message board you dont like my questions mind your business. Why do you care what i ask, no i havent followed anyone else's threads. I get 21.5 MPG around town with gas prices and other BS bills its nice to just tinker and see what you can do for realatively low $$ in saving gas. I am not a mudder or crawler like some on here i do love that stuff but i dont have the time for it and its my dailer driver, grow up get off my back

Last edited by a moderator:

its a message board you dont like my questions mind your business. Why do you care what i ask, no i havent followed anyone else's threads. I get 21.5 MPG around town with gas prices and other BS bills its nice to just tinker and see what you can do for realatively low $$ in saving gas. I am not a mudder or crawler like some on here i do love that stuff but i dont have the time for it and its my dailer driver, grow up get off my back

Well said, and other guy, learn how to spell "fallow" haha

Last edited by a moderator:
you should be thanking god you get 21.5 mpg. Im not that modified and I struggle to get 17.5 on mostly highway driving.

I am in no way knowledgeable in this subject, but I don,t think lowering you gears will really help that much. It would probably cause you to spend more time in your lower gears and cause your engine to run at a higher rpm to make the same torqe/power to the rear wheels. again I dont know anything about gears I just kinda logic'ed that out in my head. hope someone who knows answers you.

To answer the question and recap, your Jeep has 3.55s.
It will cost you around $1000 to regear.
21.5 is outstanding (actually unbelievable) mileage for an XJ.
Fact of life: It takes X amount of HP to move a square box that weighs 3400lbs down the road. It takes X amount of fuel to create X amount of HP. Sure you could spend $1000 and get maybe 2 more MPG in the flat lands (and you dont live in the flat lands) OR you could take your $1000 and buy 300 gallons of gas and still have an XJ that is still worth something when you do decide to trade it for a Honda.

I get 21.5 MPG around town
Maybe on some 215's and no lift.But most average ALOT less after a lift and bigger tires.The XJ sucks aerodynamically,but the EFI is top notch.

Hey 95cherjustin... yeat its gonna cost you... you could get them both regeared... under 1K... Its all who you know.

Back